Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do i have two heads ?

Default do i have two heads ?

it never ceases to amaze me, when out filming in public, some peoples reactions.....
    some people react like they've never seen a camera before God knows what it must have been like back in the early 1900's.
    you would think that in this day and age when lots of people have cameras on their phones people would be a bit more used to it.
    Maybe its because i like to point my camera at unusual stuff

Does this mean you'll be appearing in your next video.

I think it must make some people nervous (ie) look from a far
    And others just want to get in shot/footage

I say "I think" as I don't have much experience with this must admit........must be annoying though I imagine

There are techniques to getting natural reactions from people in public. Firstly turn your tally light off. Most people know with the red light lit, they're being filmed, so play up to it. Another is to focus on what you're after, frame it up, then look in another direction entirely. They think 'they're not filming' and relax.
    A few years ago we were in Tenerife and I spotted a broadcast cam at the end of the promenade. No tally light on, but I knew they were after holidaymaker shots, so me and my lady duly walked nice and relaxed through the shot.
    Next news, we came home and a friend rang to say Sky news was broadcasting us strolling on the prom as part of a piece on holidays there.
    Sometimes, if you really want to have your 5 minutes of fame . . . it pays to look relaxed
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Does this mean you'll be appearing in your next video.

i do make the odd appearance..... if you know where to look

anyway, i dont recall you getting in front of the camera

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    There are techniques to getting natural reactions from people in public. Firstly turn your tally light off. Most people know with the red light lit, they're being filmed, so play up to it. Another is to focus on what you're after, frame it up, then look in another direction entirely. They think 'they're not filming' and relax.
    A few years ago we were in Tenerife and I spotted a broadcast cam at the end of the promenade. No tally light on, but I knew they were after holidaymaker shots, so me and my lady duly walked nice and relaxed through the shot.
    Next news, we came home and a friend rang to say Sky news was broadcasting us strolling on the prom as part of a piece on holidays there.
    Sometimes, if you really want to have your 5 minutes of fame . . . it pays to look relaxed
    yeah, leaving the camera running but looking in the opposite direction IS Tthe best solution i found .... though not ideal for hand held shots

the worst one is when your trying to shoot people walking towards you naturally and they suddenly realise your filming and then stop dead in their tracks or apologize and jump out of the way

the other day when i was doing the Worsley Documentary i had the iPhone set up on a tripod and two kids about 10 or 11 asked if i was filming. i said yes and they asked why i was filming the canal through tree branches

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    they asked why i was filming the canal through tree branches
    If you'd been wearing your beard they wouldn't have needed to ask.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    If you'd been wearing your beard they wouldn't have needed to ask.
    you've lost me !?

Surely you've been following the arty film/beard wearers gag that's been running on the forum for a while.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    you've lost me !?
    Sorry, enc. It's a running gag. Some of us on this forum have come to associate "arty" shots with filmmakers sporting beards. This goes back to a thread where no-one here could see any redeedming feature in a few films posted by someone who then defended it all as "art". He did sport a fine example of facial fungus.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast