Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Documentary

Default Short Documentary

I had the afternoon to myself on Thursday so i tootled in to Worsley to shoot this short documentary for my film clubs "5 minute short" competition next week. Apart from one or two ambient audio dubs from the Zoom H2, its shot entirely on Iphone.

Please view and let me know what needs fixing

Ta.

I like documentaries, and I liked this. The Video quality WOW! its excellent. And I thought the nitration was good, though it would have been better if you carried on more towards the end. I was just getting into the story and it stopped. A couple of shots I thought may have been a tad to long. Oh and the "Filmed in April" Caption at the beginning should be at the end with the credits. See what others around the forum have to say, but I give it a thumbs up. and well done!

Amazing (ie) done on iphone !!!!
    Thought the footage was very good and great close ups too.
    Noticed the boats jumped as they pass by ??? is that a frame rate mis match between footage shot and export frame rate on editing software ??
    Liked the narration and it really adds to this great little documentary.
    Noticed a few pops on your p's & b's ??? Are you using a pop shield when you narrated this?? Or were you too close to the mic ??? Not bad just thought I should mention it .
    Music was good but after a while a bit depressing in my opinion.
    Love the shot with ending credits 5.00 +
    Do yo intentionally want black borders top and bottom (ie) cinema look?
    Or is this a export setting issue?

All in all really enjoyed this and thought it was very educational and engaging

Goo job

Quote Originally Posted by CaptionWorld View Post
    A couple of shots I thought may have been a tad to long.t:
    i know where your coming from but its my new concept .... ambient documentary.... besides i had to pad it out a bit to make up the 5 minutes

TBH, i have plans for (another) new series..... "Mini History" a series of short history films (ideally under two minuets) and this was to be the first in the series but i coudnt get it under 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Noticed the boats jumped as they pass by ??? is that a frame rate mis match between footage shot and export frame rate on editing software ??

The project settings do match the original frame rate the final render plays fine. its the upload to youtube where it goes tits up

Liked the narration and it really adds to this great little documentary.

Thanks.

Noticed a few pops on your p's & b's ??? Are you using a pop shield when you narrated this?? Or were you too close to the mic ??? Not bad just thought I should mention it .

No pop shield and i was probably too close to the mic. Believe it or not ive already done quite a bit of work on the P's n B's .....

:

cheers bob

Firstly I think this is a very nice job. (showing off with your moby again). It seems well researched and constructed.

I would say when you have a piece like this, over 2-3 mins, I think you need to have a bit of "Here I am outside the entrance to the mine" piece to camera sort of thing.

The pace is very slow which shows the gentle, peaceful side of the village but being so slow when trying to educate could work against it. I liked the tranquil feel you gave it and liked the music. I think some of the ambient sounds should be higher in the mix eg canal boat passing, this should have been as loud as the cars at 3:55.

The narration came across quite well, I did notice a couple of stumbled words but I am being very picky (like your fellow club members will be).

It is a very likeable, well constructed, well shot piece which, as with most of your videos I enjoyed very much, well done.

Hey Enc I was really trying to find fault in a good way ..... compared to just saying how great it was.

Hope my post didn't come across too negative as all in all I really enjoyed the documentary along with your previous ones.

Plus I appreciate you have forgotten more than I know about film making.

I thought it was important I should add that.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Hope my post didn't come across too negative as all in all
    not at all.... i appreciate the feed back

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Firstly I think this is a very nice job. (showing off with your moby again). It seems well researched and constructed.

I would say when you have a piece like this, over 2-3 mins, I think you need to have a bit of "Here I am outside the entrance to the mine" piece to camera sort of thing.

The pace is very slow which shows the gentle, peaceful side of the village but being so slow when trying to educate could work against it. I liked the tranquil feel you gave it and liked the music. I think some of the ambient sounds should be higher in the mix eg canal boat passing, this should have been as loud as the cars at 3:55.

The narration came across quite well, I did notice a couple of stumbled words but I am being very picky (like your fellow club members will be).
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
    T]
    cheers dave, im still workinhg on the final cut so ill have a look or rather listen to the levels

stumbled words.... you should have heard the previous 27 takes LOL !

its taken me 3 years just to put my voice to something, as for doing a piece to camera
    Last edited by enc; 04-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.

I thought your voice was very relaxing and calming .....

I talk way too fast by the way ....my brain works faster than my mouth...

I wish I talked like Liam Neeson or James Earl Jones ..... how good would that be !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast