Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Need help choosing software please!

  1. #1

    Default Need help choosing software please!

    hello,

    I'm a newbie to video editing and basically any kind of digital imaging altogether, but I'm interested in upgrading my current software to something a little more refined. Right now I'm using Windows 7 Movie Maker and Windows Paint. I know, it's really bare-bones..... So far I've just thrown together some basic animations and have tried my best to line the animations up to songs. I know there are a lot better options than windows movie maker out there, but that is exactly my problem: there are A LOT of options. :/ I tried out using Pinnacle Studio HD 15 but it turned out that that software wasn't quite for me. I'm looking for a software that I can edit individual slide durations to very small lengths.

    Here's a 30 second video of what I threw together in Movie Maker with animations I made in Paint. Some of the slides I used are a twentieth of a second in length. Windows 7 movie maker offspring - YouTube A video editor in the $50-$100 range would be ideal because I'm on a tight budget, and it definitely needs to have audio rendering so I don't have to line up the slides by my ear, lol.

    Thanks for any help any of you can give me, and if I can find an affordable program that matches well with me then I would definitely like to finish the rest of that 30 second video, haha.


    EDIT: High Definition capabilities aren't a huge concern for me, by the way. I think my video makes that pretty clear, haha.
    Last edited by amat; 04-01-2012 at 06:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    You will be able to do what you want easily in most entry level video editing software. My recommendation would be Sony Vegas Movie Studio as it is the cheapest whcih allows an upgrade path, shoud you need more later (though you most likely won't)
    Tim

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You will be able to do what you want easily in most entry level video editing software. My recommendation would be Sony Vegas Movie Studio as it is the cheapest whcih allows an upgrade path, shoud you need more later (though you most likely won't)
    Thanks for the recommendation. Just out of curiosity, would Sony Vegas be a good stepping stone to higher end Adobe products? Right now I'm playing around with a trial version of Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 and it is currently WAY out of my price range and it is also WAY out of my video editing level, but it would be nice to be working with a program that can help lead me to using a software one day that is a bit more "higher end."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Just out of curiosity, would Sony Vegas be a good stepping stone to higher end Adobe products? Right now I'm playing around with a trial version of Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5 and it is currently WAY out of my price range and it is also WAY out of my video editing level, but it would be nice to be working with a program that can help lead me to using a software one day that is a bit more "higher end."
    If you want to progress to Adobe CS5, the logical choice is Adobe Premiere Elements. Actually Adobe Premiere Pro + Encore would be the Adobe equivalent of Vegas Pro + DVD Arcitect. CS5 bundles other stuff.
    That and Vegas Movie Studio effectively do much of the same thing, but the interfaces are different - Guess which one is identical to Adobe CS5 and which one is identical to Vegas Pro

    Vegas Pro is the higher end editing program you'd most likely progress to if you get on well with Vegas Movie Studio.

    Choices, choices ...
    Tim

  5. #5

    Default

    Ah OK, so it would be wise to stick with the same line of products than to mix and match. That's pretty logical I guess.

    Here's a different question: if I were to purchase Sony Vegas directly from their website (Vegas Product Family Overview) would I be eligible for a discount when version 12 comes out? I'm asking because I can get a much better deal from amazon.com but I'd consider purchasing straight from the developer in case I want to upgrade when they release their next version.

    And on a completely different note - other than a nice video card and a good amount of RAM, is there any other key computer hardware used for video editing? I'm asking because I'm getting a little choppy and I'm only doing what I would consider "trivial" things. I'm using Pinnacle Studio HD 15 by the way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    972

    Default

    - - - - - for a few dollars more OP should consider Vegas Studio Production Suite as this includes a DVD Tutorial and Sound Forge which may help with music creativity.
    VS is currently v11 and this handles 1080p and can make 3D. - also it has an interesting animated Text facility... Check out on Sony Creative website, but resist the temptation to download a 30-day trial. Buying it on-line is the cheapest route to get a boxed set.

    It shows how strong are the Brands of other software houses that they can ask ten-times the amount for a product that's no better. That is my opinion, of course FWIW. Whilst Win Live MM is free, for the small cost of VSPS, suddenly you get your creativity back. But don't think it will be easy - the process of Editing is not easy and "interfaces" always appear to resist progress . . . however, I suspect OP is well able to get to grips with VSPS....Great!

    For something better than "Paint" OP could try an older version of Paint-Shop Pro...mine is 2002 and still works well in Win7 although it's really Win98 vintage..... it will create .png files so you get a transparent background for mixing stills and video (or whatever...).
    Last edited by vidmanners; 04-02-2012 at 01:07 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    - - - - - for a few dollars more OP should consider Vegas Studio Production Suite as this includes a DVD Tutorial and Sound Forge which may help with music creativity.
    VS is currently v11 and this handles 1080p and can make 3D. - also it has an interesting animated Text facility... Check out on Sony Creative website, but resist the temptation to download a 30-day trial. Buying it on-line is the cheapest route to get a boxed set.

    It shows how strong are the Brands of other software houses that they can ask ten-times the amount for a product that's no better. That is my opinion, of course FWIW. Whilst Win Live MM is free, for the small cost of VSPS, suddenly you get your creativity back. But don't think it will be easy - the process of Editing is not easy and "interfaces" always appear to resist progress . . . however, I suspect OP is well able to get to grips with VSPS....Great!

    For something better than "Paint" OP could try an older version of Paint-Shop Pro...mine is 2002 and still works well in Win7 although it's really Win98 vintage..... it will create .png files so you get a transparent background for mixing stills and video (or whatever...).
    Thanks for the Advice.

    I'm sure I'll try out other imaging programs like Photoshop and the one that you mentioned some time down the road, but right now I'm getting by OK with MS Paint. My computer runs slow enough as it is and if I started using programs with higher tech then I'll be getting by on a slug. I'm using a low-grade video editor and MS Paint and I'm pushing my computer to the limit if I want to be video editing/image editing/surfing the web/listening to music all at the same time.

    Right now I'm currently considering VS Production Suite. Amazon has a nice deal going on right now for the box version but I would much prefer to be able to purchase a digital download somewhere for around the same price. I'm also considering Adobe, but I don't think I'll find a better deal on a similar Adobe application than the Vegas Production Suite going on at Amazon. However, Amazon has digital downloads for a lot of their Adobe stuff but it's much more expensive. :/ So right now I'm faced with either getting a digital download of Adobe for much more money or buying the box version of Vegas PS 11 and waiting for it to ship..... choices, choices......
    Last edited by amat; 04-02-2012 at 01:24 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Does Vegas run smoothly? The software I just paid $60 from bestbuy likes to crash about every 2 hours so I was wondering how sony vegas handles on Windows 7. Should I be using a different operating system if I intend to make a video with a lot of length to it? Because I was only loading a 45 second video that had a single audio track and many still shot photos and my program kept crashing even after I lowered my computer display settings down to 16-bit. My computer has a 1GB video card and 6 GB of RAM with plenty of hard drive space available so I don't understand why I keep crashing... Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,849
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Many factors affect the stress that software puts on a PC, but the simple fact is that video editing is one of the most stressfull applications you can run on a PC. Often people will think that the software is buggy when in fact it is the PC which is at fault - it's just that no other application has used that part of a PC's resources before.

    If you are editing HD this will increase stress (and different HD codecs will take their toll differently). More tracks (video and audio) will increase stress. More FX (audio and video) will increase stres. just lowering the opacity (incresing the transparency) of a video layer increses the stress on a PC enormously. Mixong formats (ie different types of source - jpg mixed wit png mixed with different HD codecs) will increse stress

    Sony Vegas Movie Studio v11 (all versions) is only 32bit which means it will only make use of 2GB RAM. You'd need Pro 64 bit (and a 64 bit version of Windows) to make use of more. Premiere Elements 10 runs in native 64 bit mode - this may be a reason to go with the Adobe Product.

    With Vegas the video card makes little difference - again Vegas Movie Studio doesn't make use of GPU accelleration (this is not a big drawback - if you have a good fast CPU, rendering is often faster on that than with GPU accelleration in the Pro versions)

    Ideally you should have at least two hard disks - one for the program/operating system and a different one for your video source files. When rendering it's even better to have a third disk for the output.

    EDIT:
    Just re-read your post. If I understand correctly, you're havibng problems with Vegas crashing in a program which has lots of still images. My guess is that the stills are fairly high resolution - significantly higher than the video resolutions you are likely to produce. Vegas has always struggled with high res images. It's usually best to resize them to a sensible size before importing. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-02-2012 at 08:39 AM.
    Tim

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Many factors affect the stress that software puts on a PC, but the simple fact is that video editing is one of the most stressfull applications you can run on a PC. Often people will think that the software is buggy when in fact it is the PC which is at fault - it's just that no other application has used that part of a PC's resources before.

    If you are editing HD this will increase stress (and different HD codecs will take their toll differently). More tracks (video and audio) will increase stress. More FX (audio and video) will increase stres. just lowering the opacity (incresing the transparency) of a video layer increses the stress on a PC enormously. Mixong formats (ie different types of source - jpg mixed wit png mixed with different HD codecs) will increse stress

    Sony Vegas Movie Studio v11 (all versions) is only 32bit which means it will only make use of 2GB RAM. You'd need Pro 64 bit (and a 64 bit version of Windows) to make use of more. Premiere Elements 10 runs in native 64 bit mode - this may be a reason to go with the Adobe Product.

    With Vegas the video card makes little difference - again Vegas Movie Studio doesn't make use of GPU accelleration (this is not a big drawback - if you have a good fast CPU, rendering is often faster on that than with GPU accelleration in the Pro versions)

    Ideally you should have at least two hard disks - one for the program/operating system and a different one for your video source files. When rendering it's even better to have a third disk for the output.

    EDIT:
    Just re-read your post. If I understand correctly, you're havibng problems with Vegas crashing in a program which has lots of still images. My guess is that the stills are fairly high resolution - significantly higher than the video resolutions you are likely to produce. Vegas has always struggled with high res images. It's usually best to resize them to a sensible size before importing. Hope that helps.
    Oh ok, thanks for the advice.

    Also, I'm not using Vegas quite yet, the program that keeps crashing is Studio HD 15 made by Pinnacle. There's not really that many upgrades with it which is why I'm considering buying either Vegas or Adobe so that I can have the option to upgrade at a later time down the road. Right now Amazon has a great deal on their Vegas 11 Production Suite box version but I'm holding out until I can find a similar deal that I can download digitally over the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. help choosing software
    By dean72 in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
  2. Need help choosing video editing software
    By atcnick in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 08:50 PM
  3. Choosing Software
    By jonnyl_81 in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM
  4. Help choosing software
    By Robbie99 in forum Blu Ray, DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
  5. need help in choosing a software
    By ADE1Y in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 10:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •