Thread: Sony Vegas Pro - Red Screen Flashes making it impossible to edit. New RAM no work!

Default Sony Vegas Pro - Red Screen Flashes making it impossible to edit. New RAM no work!

Hello there,

Recently upgraded my camera from a 720p HD recording in AVI to 1080p in .MOV. My Sony Vegas edited the 720p stuff absolutely brilliantly. I seriously never had any problems. However, the new 1080p .MOV files really struggled in Vegas. Vegas lagged out, the preview screen flashed red, the preview pictures went red, sometimes I could just hear the sound and the whole picture would just be red. Eventually Vegas would crash with an error. One time windows popped up telling me I didn't have enough memory. This gave me an idea that I may not have enough RAM. Which was a reasonable suggestion, my computer about 5 and a half years old with only 2GB Ram. I scoured the internet for a few days and went on some forums. I never found any practical fixes for Vegas and was told I'll probably need new RAM. So this is exactly what I did. I now have 4GB ram in my computer as of today (however dxdiag says 3070 MB RAM - weird? Anyway, this hasn't really fixed anything.

Vegas is no longer crashing and not as laggy, but every clip flashes red alot at best and if not goes solid red. I really don't know what to do.
    I have a program called Any Video Converter, which as you guess just converts video formats. I tried converting my .MOV files to see if that was the problem, but it completely destroyed the quality of my video so I never found out.

I've searched for ages but struggling to find the answers. Heres the specs if your interested.
    Windows Vista 32 bit
    6600 @ 2.40 gHz (2 CPUs), ~ 2.4ghz
    Memory is 3070MB ram it says but should be 4GB?
    DirectX11

Can you tell us which Vegas version you are using - and what spec yr PC is, for example is there a separate Graphics card?
    + Are you sure the software will handle 1080p...?

I'm guessing your Windows is 32-bit and that sets the max RAM just under 4G - Win is smart enough not to go over the memory border. However, if it's 5yrs old - are you running XP?
    - it sure helps if you can give a full resume of all the techy bits.

The way it reads your processor is not up to the job - but there may be other issues.

Flashing red frames has been bugging some users for sometime now, have a look on the Sony Vegas forums to find out more

Use Red Frames as search

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Can you tell us which Vegas version you are using - and what spec yr PC is, for example is there a separate Graphics card?+ Are you sure the software will handle 1080p...?I'm guessing your Windows is 32-bit and that sets the max RAM just under 4G - Win is smart enough not to go over the memory border. However, if it's 5yrs old - are you running XP? - it sure helps if you can give a full resume of all the techy bits.The way it reads your processor is not up to the job - but there may be other issues.
    I'm running Windows Vista 32 Bit. And my program version is Sony Vegas Pro 9.0e. Just ran dxdiag and for graphics card its telling me:Radeon X1300/X1550 SeriesATI Technologies Inc.Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x7183)DAC Type: Internal DAC (400 MHZ)Approx. Total Memory 1533 MBThink that should be more than enough information for the graphics card, haha. I've got some more specs in my OP, if there's anything else you'd like to know just say.As to the other response I've done alot of research but I'll have another good look now, determined to fix this!