Thread: My iPad video showing my printer replicating itself

Default My iPad video showing my printer replicating itself

IMovie has always been fun to make short videos. Here's my first with iMovie on an iPad. It's less than 2 min. And shows my homemade 3d printer making a new part for itself.
    From 3d Print To Function - YouTube

Cool printer.

Blog Entries

I just find it incredible that anyone can build something like this themselves. I'm very impressed

The idea of the printer replicating itself is a good one and one begins to think how this could be extended to a complete evolution - a printer building itself from nothing!

In terms of the video, it kept moving along nicely, had a good narrative and the shots were clear.

Perhaps a few more informative captions would help - or a voiceover.

The only real criticism is get rid of the dissolves. I appreciate time passes between many of the shots and dissolves are a standard way to show time passing, but this sort of explanatory video doesn't need it and it rapidly became annoying. When we're seeing a dissolve, we can't see the images of the parts/action clearly. We probably spent a third of the video looking at dissolves and that's not good in a video like this. I'd like to see a version with straight cuts, then you can cut it to the beat of the music which will add a different dimension.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I just find it incredible that anyone can build something like this themselves. I'm very impressed

The idea of the printer replicating itself is a good one and one begins to think how this could be extended to a complete evolution - a printer building itself from nothing!

In terms of the video, it kept moving along nicely, had a good narrative and the shots were clear.

Perhaps a few more informative captions would help - or a voiceover.

The only real criticism is get rid of the dissolves. I appreciate time passes between many of the shots and dissolves are a standard way to show time passing, but this sort of explanatory video doesn't need it and it rapidly became annoying. When we're seeing a dissolve, we can't see the images of the parts/action clearly. We probably spent a third of the video looking at dissolves and that's not good in a video like this. I'd like to see a version with straight cuts, then you can cut it to the beat of the music which will add a different dimension.
    Thanks Tim. I really appreciate you taking the time to give me your honest critique. Now that it is pointed out, I agree with your comment concerning dissolves. That's what is nice about a forum like this. I've only posted this video on tech forums I belong to and thought that it would be nice to get some feedback from a video production perspective. It's very easy to get caught up in the content of your work and stand back with a fresh eye. I have another video planned that expands on my 3d printer project. I will certainly keep the dissolves to a minimum this time. As far as the printer, it is impressive, but I didn't invent it. There's a whole community working with this project. It's an open source project called reprap. If your interested the website is http://www.reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page