Thread: spec req. to run premiere?

Default spec req. to run premiere?

Hi all

I'm building a system to run Premiere, here are the specs I've decided on so far:

Shuttle ST61G4
    3.2GHz P4 800MHz FSB
    x2 512Mb 3200 DDR
    200Gb Maxtor SATA
    LG 8x DVD-RW

The ST61 has onboard Radeon 9100, I realise this isn't going to cut it, but if was to use a Matrox RTX10 PCI would the Radeon be OK? Or should I fill the AGP slot with a Maxtor P650 or 750 in addition to the RTX10? I don't have room for two screens, so dual/quad head at least to begin with isn't required.

Space is an issue, hence the Shuttle SFF. Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Of course I meant Matrox P750/650, not "Maxtor". :/

Blog Entries

The ST61G4 is cool to look at, but doesn't really offer the best performance. Remember too that the graphics card really has nothing to do with video editing performance

Seems to me you've got the money to spend on a top notch system. Check out tomshardware and related sites for the best mobo money can buy... it will make a difference.

Thanks Marc

It's space rather than aesthetics that I'm worried about, I have no place to put a bigger box -- I intend to put it on top of another XPC.
    Do you have links to performance comparisons that show the ST61 runs slower? I ask because I have two SN45-based XPCs and an SB65 that are comparible to GigaByte/ASUS ATX boards, it would be a shame if the ST boards are a problem in regards to performance.

I meant that 9100 alone wouldn't cut it, but I'm not sure the 9100 is compatible with the RTX10.
    I think Matrox's marketing blurb has got me worried somewhat, they state only certain mboards and video cards perform well with the RTXs. Of course they make a point of mentioning their P-series cards extensively within this blurb, and leave out plenty of mboards that I would've thought would be fine with the card. Gah, so I really have no idea whether the combination of ST61/RTX10/Radeon 9100 would even work at all.

Blog Entries

The ST61G4 comments were made from memory. Okay, I'm a PC geek . Take a look at the bottom benchmark in the link: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTYyLDQ=

Doesn't make for good reading from a video editing point of view?

That's not so good.
    I wonder whether they'll improve the chipset drivers, well regardless I don't think I'll go that route. Thanks for the heads up.

I'll have a look to see if Shuttle's Athlon64 boards are worth a try, I need to keep the box as small as possible unfortunately.

Basicly you should just try to cram as much RAM as possible in there... :P When working with Premiere you work with draft quality most off the time anyways and any P4 shouldn't really have any problem doing real time editing...