Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD compatibilty

Default DVD compatibilty

Hi,

This forum has helped me out so many times before, THANK YOU, I hope someone can help me here!

I am making a DVD with a programme that is edited in pin liquid edition 6. I would like the DVD to be as compatible as possible so that it wioll be able to play in a computer and a wide range of dvd players. What is the best way to acheive this?? Do I use a certain codec in pinnacle (those of you that use it) or should I look at using a domestic DVD recorder?

Thanks

NIck
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

There's only really one way to make a DVD. The compatibility really is down to the DVD player, rather than the discs or method you use. Well, some discs work better in some players, but these are just awkward exceptions, and they need to be ignored

All outputted DVD content is pretty much stored in the same format, so you don't need to worry about doing anything different!

When you render the file(s) and select the MPEG-2 codec, be sure to also choose DVD Compatible in the settings box.

Ok thanks very much. Liking the idea about ignoring akward exceptions!

Im guessing "-R" disks work in more machines thank "+R" disks. Would you all agree with that?

Nick
    Full Specs: 3.2 Pentium 4 Processor, 1Gb RAM 80Gb Root Drive, 120Gb Video Drive + another 160Gb external, Adobe Premiere Pro, Pinnacle liquid edition pro, ati radion 256mb

Nick:

I have had nothing but a good experience with -R media so far. The times I have used the +R did not work in some machines.

As mentioned, the quality of the DVD media that you buy may also play a factor in your success. Just me personally, but when I have been asked to duplicate a large number of DVD shows, I have always used Taiyo Yuden with 100% and no kick outs. When I am just doing a few I cut down on the quality of disk a little but still buy reliable media and do not purchase the cheapest on the market or showroom floor at time.

I also know from my own personal experience that some of the older DVD players are the ones that you need to more concerned about than the modern ones as far as compatibility goes.

If you were in the States, here is a source that may be good to look at as far as prices and quality. http://www.supermediastore.com So far they have been tough to beat price and service wise.

I hope that helps some.

Scooter
    AMD Athlon 3200
    Asus A7N8X Dlux
    ATI Video
    1 Gig Mem
    Windows XP Pro
    2 Seagate ATA 160 Gig HD,1 Maxtor 120 Gig HD
    Sony DRU-510 DVD/CD Burner
    Viewsonic 19\"LCD
    Pinnacle 10 PlusMediaSuite
    PremierPro 1.5 Suite
    Sony HVR-A1U 1080i HDV Camcorder

Ok thanks very much. I will stick with "-R" disks and use good media.

Nick

I'm with Scooter - stick with -R, and use good quality media. And if you're not in the USA but in the UK, www.blankdiscshop.co.uk have always been brilliant for me - great prices, fast delivery and very responsive and helpful pre-sale support.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Ok thanks. Does anyone know anything about the new 10Gb dvds? Do they still play in machines like the standard 4.7Gb ones?

Nick

I can only think you're talking about the dual layer 2 x 4.7GB = er, 9.4GB DVDs. Obviously, to write them, you need a dual layer drive - but I'd never thought about whether you could read them in a 'standard' drive. I assume you can, on the basis that I believe a typical commercial DVD is dual layer.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

I think you mean the HD-DVD, because the Dual Layer DVDs have 8,5 GB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast