Thread: Advice if possible

Default Advice if possible

I am new to the forum and seeking some advice if possible.

My wife an I got married a few weeks ago. We (well she) planned everything down to a T and all went well other than with the videographer. We had good contact with everybody from the toastmaster to the photographer but the videographer was somewhat different. 2 weeks before the wedding we were unable to get hold of him at all. Emails ignored, phone calls not answered to the point of on the day we were not even sure he was going to turn up.

He was recommended by the photogragher who surprised that we had not had contact as he wasn't normally like this. The videographer thankfully did arrive at 12:15 (we got married at 13:30) however, this was not the videographer that we had booked. The photographer didnt know who this guy was. He did introduce himself as from the company but as you can imagine on the day, with everything else that was going on, it was the last thing on my mind.

We had complaints from a number of our guests as to him being very intrusive (shoving the camera in peoples faces etc etc) and he groaned at my wife when she asked if he could give her a few minutes so she was (relatively) decent for the camera. Standing around on his mobile alot and not seeming to do very much.

The issue we now has is that nearly 2 weeks later, having already received our photographs from the photographer we have not heard anything from the videographer. We have called a number of times, emailed the details of the music we wanted to go with the video but not heard a thing.

I appreciate that editing etc etc can take time but am I being unreasonable to expect to have heard from him and not being happy with the fact it wasnt the guy we booked. What would be our options going further in regards to getting something done?

Sorry if this was a little long winded....

Thanks for listening,

Hello Chris

Sorry to hear of your delema. I used to video wedding 25 years ago, most of the editing was done in camera framing and planing shots and scenes as I went. Well before the days of computers and editing software. That said it shouldn't take more than a couple of days to edit. Did you pay anything up front? I hope you didn't. If the guy has dissapeared there is probably nothing much you can do.

Hi - It's not long winded, it's informative. Firstly, most video operators will have a clause in their contract to replace the operator in case of illness. In this case it looks like this was done, but the professionalism in not contacting you rings alarm bells.
    2 weeks is not a long time at all nowadays as, like many, most of our productions take a week + to edit and they may just have a backlog of other projects to complete before your hits the edit desk.
    A few questions - Are they local and how much did you pay for the video?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks for the two replies. Sadly we did make full payment for the videographer.

I agree and was aware at least with the photographer, that incase of illness etc etc they could replace the person doing the wedding by possibly subcontracting out. To some extent, I have no issue with this as the same clause was with the toastmaster and photographer. I would have expected to have been told that this had happened, at least on the day and for the person there to tell me he was working on behalf on the one we booked. I have a feeling that he knew prior to the day this would happen which was possibly the reason for the non communication the 2 weeks prior to the wedding. As you say, very unprofessional.

The man is local, within a 5 minute drive. I just dont want to start or say something that would compromise the video or jump to any conclusions without at first giving the benefit of the doubt. I mean, we could receive the prefect video in a week or so, who knows.

As you can imagine, my now wife is jumping up and down expecting the worst and ready to pounce.

This is the odd thing. When we initially booked, we told him he was recommended by our videographer. Without saying anything more, he offered us a reduced price of 33%. Looking back now alarm bells should have possibly started ringing then. We paid £500 all in all. We didnt ask for the discount.

Pretty normal to make full payment to all wedding day suppliers too, so nothing unusual there.
    Nothing wrong with calling at his house either, especially as he doesn't reply to other means, Better to check all is well and to get an estimated completion time. It also serves as a 'I know where you live too'.
    The discount was surprising, as most suppliers just return the favour and it sounds a little desperate. £500 isn't expensive, so he's probably just part time and has to edit at weekends.
    A pleasant visit will probably reassure you and your lady and remind the guy he has a contract - You do have one I presume?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

6. Default

I've done weddings for many years, if it was me I'd be straight round to his house if he has not been replying to your communications. That is what I'd expect if I treated a client in that way.
    Did you sign a contract and did that specify a delivery time? I know that many operators are giving a delivery of many months, mainly those with a job or more 'important' work to do. I respect my clients and give their work the attention it deserves, I can't see how anyone can take more than a week to edit a wedding, they just stretch that amount of time over many weeks. I give a delivery time of two weeks and have only on a handful of occasions had to extend that but I let the client know that, I contact them and don't leave it to them to have to chase me. Too may take on more that they can reasonably handle or don't have the skills or experience to edit efficiently.

Get round and check out what's happening, good luck how it all works out well for you.