Thread: Simple video spliting

Default Simple video spliting

Hello, I have been trying to simply split a video to save HD space. The file itself is about 1.2 GB. I used a few editing programs to cut about 2/3 of the video. The problem comes when I do the final save and the file somehow turns out to be 1.8GB. I have no idea how I cut 2/3 of the video and got an increase in file size with the same video quality. Anyone know how I can fix this or a program that can simply cut avi and mpeg files?

I'd make sure you're exporting as the same settings as your original file. It's possible you're saving with a higher bitrate or something that would unnecessarily hold more data.

For simpler cutting, try Quicktime Player 7 or online freeware MPEG Streamclip. On the player, you can pull the handles from each side to cut out parts of the video, or only export whatever is inside the handles. This could be possibly a lot faster than what you are trying if it's not too complicated.

British Eye is right. The render setting have to be exactly the same as the original file inc. Format, ie .wmv, .mp4, .m2t etc. Size 1920 x 1080, 1280 x 720, etc. Bit rate etc........

There is a piece of software called VideoRedo which will cut or trim the length of a video without going through a total re-render, this might be more like the software you need.