Thread: HD on web

Default HD on web

Hi i have just started working with video. I have bought a canon 550d and made some video recorded in 1080p 25fps.

I would like to put these video on a website without the use of vimeo and youtube(it is for a client). I have AE and PremierPro, when i export the movie the file is of cause huge. Do you know any converter that can make the files go down and the quality stay pretty good. I have tried some different convertes but the video just loose to much quality. Should i just use premier pro ?

How would you export a movie for web ? I would really be happy if you could describe it step by step.

I am trying to get this quality First Steps - Treehouse
    Last edited by butterfinger; 03-20-2012 at 08:44 PM.

You could try uploading the video to YouTube, get then to do the conversion to mp4, then down load it. Or try compressing to mp4 yourself. I don't use Adobe so can't take you through it step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You could try uploading the video to YouTube, get then to do the conversion to mp4, then down load it. Or try compressing to mp4 yourself. I don't use Adobe so can't take you through it step by step.
    Thanks for reply.
    Just to make sure. 1.Upload the video to youtube in huge size. 2. Download the video from youtube and it is then compressed and ready to go ? Does not sound very pro but very creative. thanks

Does not sound very pro
    Do you know how much money they spent on the software to be able to do this.

I'm only recommending that you do this if you have no idea how to do it your self in Premier. You should be able to make your own .mp4 file or .wmv file in Premier I'm sure it has a 1080p template you could use.

I use a 550D and do this sort of thing all the time. I'd try to export it as a MOV first to see if you can get the filesize down. If it's not enough for you, convert it to an MP4. Youtube will convert it to a Flash Video file, but if it offers you a download, it'll be in MP4 download. So to get it to the closest to what Youtube will use, I'd go for MP4.

TO EXPORT TO MOV
    Bring your footage into Quicktime Player 7 or MPEG Streamclip (freeware).
    File > Export
    Dropdown menu, Movie to Quicktime Movie
    Click Options button
    Settings > Compression Type > H.264
    Quality: Best
    Click OK button
    Size > Dimensions > Current
    Click OK button
    Check Prepare for Internet Streaming > Fast Start
    Click OK button.
    Click Save button.

TO EXPORT TO MP4
    Bring your footage into Quicktime Player 7 or MPEG Streamclip (freeware).
    File > Export
    Dropdown menu, Movie to MPEG-4
    File Format > MP4
    Video Format > H.264
    Image Size > Current
    Frame Rate > Current
    Click OK button.
    Click Save button.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by butterfinger View Post
    I am trying to get this quality First Steps - Treehouse
    Looks to me the clip is streamed from a server at cloudfront.net using the Browser's standard Flash plugin.
    That is not the same as simply putting an mpeg file onto an ordinary website.
    I thought Vimeo offered a (commercial) service designed to stream videos securely (i.e. via a logon). And, I would assume the User uploads their orginal (huge) file; and vimeo's servers then do all the relevant conversion work; and be able to display the video nicely.

OP, Are you aware that you can upload your footage to youtube as unlisted ? what this means is only those with a link that you provide them with can view the footage.

from premiere, a seven minute film @ 1080p is approximately 1.8gb. this saved at the following --- format H.264, preset HDtv, 1080p 25fps High Quality.
    The same footage saved at--- format H.264, preset 720p 25fps High Quality would be approximately 340MB.
    Last edited by enc; 03-20-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. I will use TimAndrewa idear with vimeo. I checked out the commecial service and it looks like what i need. The player can be customized, and there is many other nice features. For none commecial i will try out Mp4. H.264 is that mp4 ?