Thread: Video Preview Hardware Use?

Adelaide, Australia

Question Video Preview Hardware Use?

I'm in the process of building a new desktop rig that will partially be targetted at both video editing and gaming.

I'm unsure as to whether an i7-2600k is worth the extra money. My question however is this:

What hardware does the video preview window in Sony Vegas (10) use predominantly? CPU? RAM? GPU even?

This will sway my decision between he i7 or the i5. I don't care about final export rendering time.

Last edited by Sasstraliss; 03-18-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I asked a similar question when building my last PC a year ago. Like you I was more concerned with preview response than render time.
    Specifically my question was whetehr it was better to go with 16GB and a i7 2600K running at 3.4GHz or go for 8GB with a (soak tested) overcloked i7 2600K at 4.7GHz.
    The response was overwhelmingly in favour of the faster clock speed.

I cannot comment on the GPU side of things as far as preview is concerned. I have a very basic CUDA card.

As for teh overclocked CPU - I've not had a problem (other than having to swap out the motherboard as the P67 chipset was an early model which had a recognised problem - swapped out for free. Playing safe (and being lazy) I bought a pre o/c bundle (CPU/RAM/Mobo) from Scan.