Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McB. Aminated Shakespeare

Default McB. Amination.

My lastest animation.
    Made for friends (hence long titles with custom written theme music), this is a famous scene from a play by Shakespeare. The play is a tragedy, but my interpretation includes some strange, perhaps comic, elements. Some scenes contain very detailed CGI which look even prettier at HD.

Arty folk may wish to knock themselves out over the relevance of ugly women (with circles and rings) and smooth skinned men (with swords and trees).
    As In this binary world, things are only either 0 or 1.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 03-16-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: amend Thread title.

Very nice Tim, you're really getting good at this stuff. As you know from a technical perspective I know nothing about animation so I can't comment on that side of things. On the dramatic side I thought you created a perfect eerie atmosphere for this piece. I found the dialogue a bit slow as thought it should have been cut together a bit faster, less of a gap between each characters lines.
    The soundscape was good and helped to create the atmosphere.

I liked the titles as well.

Well done.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-17-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Hi Tim

Loved the end (voices merging and the blurring effect as they spin around.
    1.53 = spooky (ie) face close up - looks the most realistic to me.
    Haven't got a clue how you do this sort of thing.

How long did that take you Tim??

Oh yea loved the start intro titles by the way very professional.
    The only bit I wasn't that taken with was the running around the forest section
    I bet watching that especially the 3 witches sections on a big (HD) T.V in the dark is spooky

Agree with Midnight about increasing the speed between sections

Really good ...congratulations

Great job Tim.

If your not careful you could get an Oscar for that. Well Done!

I know Animation is complicated and takes time and a lot of patience but the results (like yours) can be mind blowing so well worth the effort. I have been experimenting myself with Toon Boom free try Software and you really need to stick at it time wise, it wont do the job for you. Make's it a good challenge.

Have to ask. What Programme did you use? and how long did it take to make from start to finish?

Interestingly enough I have noticed major companies are now using animation as an advertizing medium in preference to Video. It some how gets the point across better. And more entertaining.
    Would be great to hear more views and thoughts on this forum about animation.

I agree with all the above points. Thank you for taking the time.
    In some respects, animation is easier than using real (and expensive) cameras/lights/location/actors etc. It is also easier to portray extraordinary sights, shots can be redone without involving anyone else, and nothing (except computer failure) can prevent an animator doing their work.
    I tend to feel a little guilt when posting my clips here. 'animation' is not commonly practiced by regular Users and can appear as a magic trick. I post here to learn from comments about the cinemagraphic/dramatic qualities of my clips, rather than the 'special effect' of using animation.
    However, animation software can be extremely complicated, expensive, and slow to learn. I have no doubt we shall see more animators when standard video editing software has better functions for linking realife with CGI.
    I have written some notes about this clip, which may answer some points. But if there is anything of particular interest, feel free to message/email me.
    McB. Animation notes

Hi Tim

I have Looked through your notes ... with most things you dont' know much about you can't comprehend the amount of work that goes into something you are ignorant about !!!

All I can say hats off to you.

The scary thing is your quick video was 3.22 min - I would hate to think the amount of work that would go into a full length feature film !!!!

London, England

Nice to see a different version of a familiar opening....fantastic work, only wish I could be 10% as good .... as I know Animation is an uphill struggle.

However, I agree it's an area most of us dismiss - probably because it used to mean drawing each frame, but now there are many programs - unfortunately the ones we read about are the expensive ones.

Caption World was starting-off . . . any progress, yet?

Still looking to find something in the free/budget region, to animate my storyboards - at least then I don't have to build sets and pay folk to turn up. I'm hoping the camera can be used to "capture", but I see some programs which have onion-skin features still use web-cams (since the single frame resolution is sufficient and it doesn't waste memory), but claymation still involves an artistic ability too. Oh deary.

Quite like the CrazyTalk software, but hate the "facing camera" of the actors - and frankly am thoroughly confused by the different versions they offer. However, it does mean you can animate things directly from a book/catalogue, or real things you've photographed.

Such programs have moved the goalposts compared with the likes of software Blender, er, IMHO.

I wonder there shouldn't be a Forum for Animation...... How about it?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 03-19-2012 at 12:45 AM.

I wonder there shouldn't be a Forum for Animation...... How about it?
    If DD Could make a slot for animation here that would be great!

Vidmanners. Have you had a look at Toon Boom? Its a full try out proramme with no time limit. There are story board templates you can down load. And video tutorioals plus PDF's to talk you through the programme. 2D& 3D. To get started with. Its expensive to buy but by the time I have got more confident with it the price will have dropped hopefully.

Hope this helps.

Sorry I forgot to answer this.

I am making progress but slowly. Starting with the drawing part. There is like with all the sequences a video tutorial. The experts make it look so easy don't they. Anyway I started with drawing and creating the Titanic sinking the Iceberg this is fairly straight forward.
    Then jumping to the 3D section. I know I have jumped the gun here but this part will be the final part of any animation. Getting the ship to hit the iceberg and sinking it. Making the iceberg to capsize and sink is straight forward. But making the ship appear from a distance then grow bigger as it moves across the screen and along the timeline how I want it, is proving to be a time consuming task. If I can master this part first, then I can start on more in depth drawings. I have the video tutorial open in another window so can consult while experimenting. Like I said the experts make it look so easy. Perseverance is the key.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I thought the title sequence was terrific and forgot we were about to go into an animation. I expected real actors to appear and was momentarily disappointed when it cut to the first-person shot of running through the grass. In many ways this was teh most effective animation, in my book. I guess this is because you're not animating people (we are much more finely attuned to the movement and looks of the human body than to the movement of grass or trees)
    I really liked the models you created. I'm guessing hair is just too labour/CPU intensive?
    You're certainly improving with the movements - they look plausible, though there's still a way to go before they become natural.

The movements to me seemed too slow and smooth. I try to imagine an (human) actor making a similar slow turn of the head or arm and there would be something that's not quite the same. Unfortunately I'm neither a biologist nor an animator so I can't really say what's wrong.

It doesn't really matter that the movements aren't 100% natural though, most animation is heavily stylised. I think what matters here is that when a movement begins we can tell almost immediately where it's going to end and therefore the slowness of the movement seems to be "wasted" time. Contrast this with the slow head turn of a human actor where the whole turn is a journey.

Perhaps your movements obey the laws of physics rather than the laws of biology?

This all sounds incredibly negative, I realise, but I really don't mean to be so. I'm just pondering what could make it better and I think there's the hard way (study movement in real humans and try to replicate it***) or the easier way - develop your own stylised methods which don't have long periods (probably more than half a second) where we are simply waiting for a movement to end where we know it is going to end.

*** in which case you might as well use actors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast