Thread: Text to speech editor laws

Default Text to speech editor laws

Is it against copyright laws to use a text to speech editor in your short film?

I'm trying to create an annoying voice for sat nav/ gps system and I'm falling out with audacity big time.

Any ideas on how to create this effect? I don't want a simply darlick style tutorial

Cheers
    Cal

My GPS uses a collection of small (WAV) files. e.g. There are different files for "turn" , "right", and "left". The instruction "turn left" is, of course made up of 2 separate files. I recommend you record each word individually of the required dictionary. Then use Audacity to cut/paste the words together into sentences. That will retain the human voice, but also sound artificial.

Yeah I think you're right.

It's just a pain in the arse when I have what I need already. The software company replied saying I can't distribute the voices so my decision has been made.

Now I just have to find a woman's voice to record

I think Stephen Hawkins would have a problem if it is.
    I don't think it's a problem as copyright is about protecting a script or image, tune or idea rather than how or with what an idea is expressed with. There is a great site called xtranormal where you can type in your script and choose a number of different voices with different accents etc. or just use the one on your PC.

I checked out xtranormal but its seems it costs $50 a month to use it for business purposes.

I know this film competition isn't necessarily considered a business venture but I don't think the hassle of disqualification is worth it you know

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    My GPS uses a collection of small (WAV) files. e.g. There are different files for "turn" , "right", and "left". The instruction "turn left" is, of course made up of 2 separate files. I recommend you record each word individually of the required dictionary. Then use Audacity to cut/paste the words together into sentences. That will retain the human voice, but also sound artificial.
    Simple ideas are always the best. Nice shout Tim!

GPS systems tend not to come with voices designed to annoy Users. Folk tend to choose (as they do with WIndows Screen savers or desktop background), the one which displeases them least. For your film, perhaps you need a voice which is more universally disliked.
    You are correct. There is little Audacity can do to make a voice 'annoying' (It is not a commonly sought audio effect).
    I think there are 3 types of voice which irritate me.
    1) a 'boring' voice with no intonation. (dull and lifeless speech)
    2) a voice with too much intonation. (as some cartoon characters speak)
    3) a voice with sensible intonation, but displaying an attitude problem. A GPS voice is supposed to be a friend, not an evil enemy.
    After I started using my own voice on my GPS, I have got used to it calmly saying "at the end of the road"; then spitting out the order "turn right".