Thread: Music video of A Drop in the Ocean - Ron Pope, by Piggie

Talking Music video of A Drop in the Ocean - Ron Pope, by Piggie

So, here I am in my first thread in this forum. Hope that you enjoy. It's a music video that I did with help of a friend of mine. I used clones technique.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

I loved the shot with the singer in the mirror. I presume you did the movement in post.
    The video itself goes nowhere. You've used the two or three angles you've got in the first minute, then its all just more of the same. I suspect it needs a lot more - I don't think a performance video showing just "two" people is really going to cut it.
    Use the lyrics to find some other shots ("a drop in the ocean" might give you some ideas for starters!) and keep the performance shots for just a small parts of the video.

From this one song, i think he's got potential as a song-writer, the chorus has a good hook. He's putting good expression into it but I'd like to hear the song sung by a really good singer - I think the melody would suit a female voice.
    Tim

I agree the mirror shot was a nice touch. I'd recommend getting away from the walls when you are shooting someone. I understand you were cloning but get away from the walls. The performance doesn't carry the video and the video is not enough to carry the song.

@TimStannard & Midnight Blue

Thanks for apreciate the mirror shot. I know that my video have just a few shots, by it's really hard to work with clones. Every shot needs 2 takes, so i had to do 6 takes (3 shots with 2 clones) and the "offsets" shots, that my unexperient friend did. Is just a simple video, that comparing to other music video covers, i think that mine is really acceptable.
    Thanks for the comments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
    it's really hard to work with clones. Every shot needs 2 takes, so i had to do 6 takes (3 shots with 2 clones) and the "offsets" shots, that my unexperient friend did.
    That's nothing. Really! Nothing!
    Song is, what - 4 minutes. So lets say a minute each side to start the camera and stop it (I'm being generous) so six minutes per take, total 36 minutes. Add setup tiem - an hour max in this situation.

And hour. To shoot. Most would take taht just arriving on sidte and looking at where the sun is, where the lights are etc and looking through viewfinders at cameras.

Compare that to the time you spend in editing!

The shooting time is insignificant. Get more shots!

I suppose it depends whether you want to produce a video which is acceptable (which yours is), or one that stands out (which ends up just a bit more than acceptable). Ipresume you are after the latter or you wouldn't have taken the trouble to post here.

It's the law of diminishing returns, but if you consider six takes for a music video to be excessive then ... well that's up to you
    Tim

@Tim

Well, i think you got a point. It was my second music video, so I was unexperient in these think (and I still unexperient). I spend maybe 3 hours doing these shots, and I think that is too much.
    Of course, comparing with the time that i spend in editing, is really a short time. I wrote it down this advice. Next vídeos with more shots.