Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual white balance or black balance question I am stuck

Default Manual white balance or black balance question I am stuck

Hi Guys

I am doing a lot of test shooting today after 1.00pm.

If anyone could possibly advise before that it would a massive (understatement) help.

Info

Shooting in my cellar studio (black) no light
    Using photoflood incandescent bulk (3400k) key and fill light
    Using backlight incandescent (2700k)
    Background lights incandescent 2700k)

My camera Panasonic NVGS400 (still learning about it) is a 3CCD camera and allows me to adjust both white and black balance manually I have figured this out (ie) how to do it (still beginner/novice).

Question is I have a white screen and a black screen to help me set manual balance (white & black) they are placed exactly where I sit (I am the subject ...filming myself ) under the exact light I am about to shoot under.

Do I need to set just the white balance or just the black balance (ie) shooting in a black cellar studio???

Should I set both one after the other ????? ... or is this a contradiction?????

One last thing I am experimenting with my budget lighting set up using same (colour temp) but changing the power/ brightness of lights . Do I need to set white /black balance just once at start and keep the same throughout the test with different power light (same colour temperature) or should I reset the white balance /black balance after every lighting power change???

Really hope you can help me out here or I will have to shoot all my test lighting footage using automatic white balance which I know the more experience guys will go ape about!!

Cheers everyone

Put a white balance card in the lit scene and WB on that. Printer paper will do at a push, but check once locked, it looks au natural!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Fantastic .......thanks zero ......got you .

Do I need to reset WB after every light power change (not colour temp (ie) same lamps jut more of them

(ie)

key 275 fill white refelctor
    key 550 fill 275

etc etc etc etc.

Thanks a million !!!!

Like Zero said zoom into the white card so it fills the camera view finder/screen, On my camera if you press the white balance button and keep it pressed it then does a black balance as well, You don't need a black card as the camera does it's own black internally by shutting out the light from the lens. I don't know if that's how it works on yours. When you are first setting up do a white balance, then a black balance, then another white balance. This may seem over the top to some but I think it's good practise to do it this way.

Every time you dim your lights you will change the colour temp so you should do a new white balance by zoom into the white card and press the white balance button.

Make sure the iris isn't too open which makes things too bright or too closed so it's too dark, for the camera to do it's funky stuff.

Good luck with the testing.

Thanks Midnight

Got you ... yes just realised my camera does a black with the white too ... thats good.

3 cheers for the NVGS400 !!!!!

I am setting manual focus and WB but (shutter speed and iris) are over my head at present MB haven't got a clue ????

I was going to leave that to automatic for this test

Need to learn about this I know but at least I can get some test footage done now ....more later with when I learn more.

Thanks MB

One step at a time is a good way to move forward.

Couldn't agree more MB

I might get information overload ....happened to me lots of times before

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Thanks Midnight

I am setting manual focus and WB but (shutter speed and iris) are over my head at present MB haven't got a clue ????

I was going to leave that to automatic for this test

Need to learn about this I know but at least I can get some test footage done now ....more later with when I learn more.

Thanks MB
    My trouble is, I do most of the stuff you're struggling with by instinct. I go to a shoot and . . . just do it without even thinking about it, just as many others probably do. Adjusting your lighting levels may/not affect your WB, so just check the 'look'.

Iris? have a play with adjusting your exposure button, or lock the exposure to obtain the 'look' you need. Too heavy on the lighting may (on auto iris) alter the whole look you need. By playing with the exposure you are in control of the 'look'.
    This is all great practise for when you hit the road on a shoot. By then you too will do it the same way we all do. Like breathing . . . We just do it.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I forgot to ask if you have a focus board to set your focus if not how do you do it.

My trouble is, I do most of the stuff you're struggling with by instinct. I go to a shoot and . . . just do it without even thinking about it, just as many others probably do. Adjusting your lighting levels may/not affect your WB, so just check the 'look'.

Thanks zero just read your post after doing my testing .
    Yes you can’t beat experience which I am sadly lacking but I am a lot better than I was before I came to this forum !!!!

Still I real novice though and so much more to learn.

Iris? have a play with adjusting your exposure button, or lock the exposure to obtain the 'look' you need. Too heavy on the lighting may (on auto iris) alter the whole look you need. By playing with the exposure you are in control of the 'look'.
    This is all great practise for when you hit the road on a shoot. By then you too will do it the same way we all do. Like breathing . . . We just do it.

As I said I got your message after my tests ….. I didn’t play with exposure this time Zero or shutter speed just manual focus and WB, I am filming myself so it is quite awkward.

I will be posting some test footage soon hope you can drop by and tell me what you think.

Thanks for all your help today Zero much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast