Thread: Audio issues with importing MiniDV tape (Sony) to iMovie '09

Default Audio issues with importing MiniDV tape (Sony) to iMovie '09

Folks: I'm running Mac OS X (10.7.2) and iMovie'09 on my 27 inch iMac. I'm using a Sony dcr-trv19 that is connected via firewire to the camera. The audio, overall, comes in synced (timing) just fine; however, there is clipping at the higher frequencies that is really annoying. The only way to describe it is that you lose anything above 15hz or so. So every "S" is flat and you get the digitized effect on many words, etc. I've listened to the source tape via the camera in playback to my headphones, and do notice that occasionally the camera picked up a bit too much audio, like the level hit red, or something. Howver, that doesn't happen that often ompared to the overall level on the iMovie version where the majority of "S"s are cut. Almost a slisibilance effect on the digital side. There are no apparent audio import controls to bring the level down in iMovie '09, when importing, etc. What are my options to try to improve my import qualities? I've considered upgrading to iMovie '11, but not sure it gives me more import power. Is there another software product I could try that will properly encode a MiniDV and work on the mac? Very frustrating....

If the source material is clipped, then no tweaking of the capturing process is going to solve this. Perhaps some post work might help to improve it but I doubt you will get it sounding perfect no matter what you do.

Sorry.

Edit: Now I've said that I bet some clever bugger will come along with some new super software that fixes clipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If the source material is clipped, then no tweaking of the capturing process is going to solve this. Perhaps some post work might help to improve it but I doubt you will get it sounding perfect no matter what you do.

Sorry.

Edit: Now I've said that I bet some clever bugger will come along with some new super software that fixes clipping.
    Midnight Blue: Thanks for your comment. Let me clarify. There is MINOR clipping on the source. If I put some HQ headphones on, I hear only a mild, and rare clip on the source. Once the audio is in iMovie, it is MUCH worse and prevelant. Almost like the quality level of audio has taken a few major hits.

I would think this is more to do with the audio hardware playback on the different machines more than anything to do with digital corruption during capture BUT that's just my guess without being there.

Default Possible cause and solution

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would think this is more to do with the audio hardware playback on the different machines more than anything to do with digital corruption during capture BUT that's just my guess without being there.
    Well, I think I've solved it. The videos I was watching were imported in the Fall and I'm just now getting to them. Interestingly enough, as I tried re-importing a segment I have no audio issues. What has changes since last import to today? Well over the holiday break my HD started failing; the drive would not verify when running Disk utility. I replaced it over the break with a new drive and all works well now. So my conclusion is that because I had a failing HD, the software must have been struggling to properly encode audio and would, for some reason related to performance, clip or shorten the audio bites.

Pragmatism only works when you are given all the information.

Well done for "fixing it".