Thread: Organizing and tagging audio files to be available to several video projects

1. Default Organizing and tagging audio files to be available to several video projects

Hi,

I have a plenty of audio files (sounds and tracks) to be applied in several video projects. The problem is that all files are organized in folders through windows explorer.

I would like to achieve better organization, for instance tagging the audio files.

Then, may someone tell me if Vegas Pro is able to promote this organization and make it available to be used to many other projects? How to do it?

Besides Vegas, does anyone suggest other ways to organize the audio files in order to make them easy to be accessed and used?

Many thanks,
    Cadu

2 words: Media Manager.

you can copy and paste between projects , that saves you having to keep finding them

4. Default

Hi,

I installed media manager (mm) and it is what I was looking for exactly. Many thanks!

I have made some trials with mm and I would appreciate additional help:

a) After installation was created the follow folder automatically=> C:\Users\Documents\Sony Media Libraries. I create my own library inside this folder as well. It seems obvious, but to guarantee the plenty of tagging work, is this folder content that should be stored as backup? I.e. If I format my computer it would be necessary just replace this content and mm will return to former configuration.

b) It seems that mm just tag files, is it (i.e. there isn't file duplicating) ? For instance, my audio files are in folder C:\Users\Documents\audio. So, through mm I tagged all this folder. If I move files from this folder to other one, will the sources / links be lost?

c) Is there any way of mm run as an stand-alone application? For instance, it would be useful to organizing images and by dragging and dropping it inside Photoshop the image is loaded as I could realize. So, the usage would be beyond Vegas.

d) Just confirming, the mm is free of charge (don't need license) since you have Vegas license, isn't it?

It is being my first experience organizing media. So, if anyone has any tip or rule of thumb about organizing with mm, I will be grateful for that.

Best,
    Cadu
    Last edited by cadu; 03-11-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cadu View Post
    Hi,

I installed media manager (mm) and it is what I was looking for exactly. Many thanks!

I have made some trials with mm and I would appreciate additional help:

a) After installation was created the follow folder automatically=> C:\Users\Documents\Sony Media Libraries. I create my own library inside this folder as well. It seems obvious, but to guarantee the plenty of tagging work, is this folder content that should be stored as backup? I.e. If I format my computer it would be necessary just replace this content and mm will return to former configuration.
    Yes indeed. Just copy the medialib file(s)

b) It seems that mm just tag files, is it (i.e. there isn't file duplicating) ? For instance, my audio files are in folder C:\Users\Documents\audio. So, through mm I tagged all this folder. If I move files from this folder to other one, will the sources / links be lost?
    Yes. Move your files at your peril! However, IIRC you can save the tags with the files (Select the files in MM, right click and "Save properties and Tags to files") As I understand it if you then construct a new Media Library and include these media files, their tags will be imported as well. Be warned - that's how I understand it. i've never actually tried it!
    c) Is there any way of mm run as an stand-alone application? For instance, it would be useful to organizing images and by dragging and dropping it inside Photoshop the image is loaded as I could realize. So, the usage would be beyond Vegas.
    It would be useful, wouldn't it?
    d) Just confirming, the mm is free of charge (don't need license) since you have Vegas license, isn't it?
    It is.
    It is being my first experience organizing media. So, if anyone has any tip or rule of thumb about organizing with mm, I will be grateful for that.
    I like MM but I do find it incredibly flakey. The best bit of advice I'd give you is to back up your Media Libraries often and with different names so you can easily get back to an earlier version.
    Tim

6. Default

Hi,

Thanks for the tip about Media Manager. I am really liking to deal with. Great tool, even being under-developed (last version 2.4 from 2008 ). Anyway, I should say I have experience few Vegas 11 crashes when just tagging files...

I would appreciate a help=> About "Save Tags and Properties to Files", I could apply it just to video and audio files. When applying to image (.jpg, .png) an error appears=> "Saving tags and properties failed for some files and the cause could not be determined". Does anyone know if Media Manager is unable to "save tags" to image files?

And about files with tag saved inside, would the same hierarchical tag tree structure be recover using media manager in another computer? I am thinking about share files with other people maintaining same organized structure...

Best,
    Cadu