Thread: Upgrading my computer to start editing FULL HD - Need Advice

Default Upgrading my computer to start editing FULL HD - Need Advice

Hey guys. I'm an aspirant director like I guess most of you are, and while I still don't have my Panasonic GH2, for which I am saving money, my computer is kind of falling to pieces (well, it's not that bad actually, only it doesn't fit my needs), so I'm upgrading it. I'm on a budget for various reasons, so I'm not trying to get the best of the best, just something to start, which I will upgrade as well, as time goes by. The pieces I am upgrading are the RAM, the Mobo, the Processor and the Videocard. My budget is of 500 dollars. What I wanted to know is whether this is the best for the price and whether it ould do a good job when editing HD. Thanks a lot. Here are the pieces I'm planning on getting:

Mobo: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - Trying to go cheap on this one, and it seems to fit my needs. If you were to suggest a better one, I'd prefer it not costing more than 100 dollars.

Processor: Amazon.com: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor: Electronics - I think this is arguably the best option for my budget.

Video Card: Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX560 DC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - I was going for the 550Ti at first, and the PNY Quadro 600 was another option, but I was told this is much better for all my purposes (which include gaming, since I'm an avid FIFA, PES player, and I don't have a PS3 or XBOX360). This is where I'd like the most feedback.

RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV8GX3M2A1333C9

Cheers guys, let me know what you think.

I asked this same question a while back I think it was on this forum and got the below answer.
    Personally I cant help you out ...haven't got a clue .

But hope the below is of use and hopefully a few more experienced guys will drop by and share their thoughts with you .

For HD you really need quad-core and a separate Graphics card - best value from a Desktop with 4G –8 gig RAM running Win7, for example. Make sure you have room for those extra SATA HDD's (when prices come down, late 2012) as I had issues with spare SATA sockets on MBO that wouldn't work beyond three.
    + USB3 is the minimum for external storage, although many are still only -2. I use eSATA but that seems to be a forgotten standard. You'll need ITb min, eg 1x500G OS and programs + 500G files

Thank you very much, very useful indeed, although I already meet with those expectations Hope someone else will add something. Thanks though!

Sorry I can't be any more help ....... hope someone else drops by

Sounds like you know a lot already

Looks ok for the budget to me. Let me just break down the above post that Slimbob shared

For HD you really need quad-core and a separate Graphics card - best value from a Desktop with 4G –8 gig RAM running Win7, for example.
    Get Windows 7 Pro if you can, Don't bother with Ultimate or Home Premium. 8GB of ram is great, 12GB is fantastic, Whilst a Quad Core will speed things up, I think you can do what you need with just a dual core, Yes all will be a lot slower, But with an I5 Dual Core, You can at least edit the footage even though renders and exports will take awhile.

Make sure you have room for those extra SATA HDD's (when prices come down, late 2012) as I had issues with spare SATA sockets on MBO that wouldn't work beyond three.
    Valid but don't expect prices to fall for a long time...

+ USB3 is the minimum for external storage, although many are still only -2. I use eSATA but that seems to be a forgotten standard.
    Don't discount Firewire 800! FIrewire may be old but it is still ace for data transfer. and eSATA is common enough to be found on devices!

You'll need ITb min, eg 1x500G OS and programs + 500G files
    I have a 128GB OS drive, and I have 30GB spare even after loading programs like CS5.5 production premium and other large software suites, You do not need a massive OS drive. Better to get a smaller faster OS drive and data disks that are purely for data.

Thanks for the input Bpotter ...... I learned a lot from this

Thanks a lot guys. Although don't worry, the i5 I'm buying is a quad-core

Hope your new setup serves you well