Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright fail

Blog Entries

Default Copyright fail

We're always bleating on about copyright here. Using work without permission sucks, but it's normally just for a bit if fun, right? Not so for Nikon. For the launch of their new camera, some bright spark borrowed some footage. Without permission. Which was likely shot on a canon. By someone sponsored by canon. Oops. http://thedigitalvisual.com/a-huge-nikon-no-no-canon-5d-mark-ii-fottage-used-to-promote-the-d800

Seems this kind of thing happens more and more often in the digital age. On leading newspaper works on the ground that they need a picture fast to go with the headlines, so use thd image and then wait for someone to claim copyright.

Oops indeed.

Oh the world we live in...

Blog Entries

That's got to be worth a tweet Marc (in the ligh of the new Social media sub-section)
    Tim

Funny story this - was actually a friend of mine whose footage was used, and yes he is sponsored by canon - though its all cleared up now i hear.

Takes nothing to ask for permission.

I recently contacted a "You Tube" video owner (harpist) to ask if I could extract his audio "Brahms Lulllaby" from his video and use it in one of mine.

He was flattered and said yes.

However when I contacted a U.S choir to ask for permission to use their excellent rendition of "Mozart's Requiem in D Minor" I was told to go and whistle.

Using it anyway !

Joking of course

most composers and musicians if approached will be flattered when asked if their music can be used on a productions. But it's always best to ask first

Anthony
    AKM Music

Royalty Free Music

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Kimber McTiffen View Post
    most composers and musicians if approached will be flattered when asked if their music can be used on a productions. But it's always best to ask first

Anthony
    AKM Music

Royalty Free Music
    yeah, i wrote to Jimi Hendrix ....still waiting a reply

Mr C you are so naughty.

I've found it to be true. I've had a few people I've asked if I could use their music they all said yes. Even Malcolm Morley let me do Street Songs and he's got a Wiki Page.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    and often the people you think will say yes -don't! A few years ago I recorded some songs based on the Fungus the Bogeyman Character that belongs to Roald Dhal. The band didn't expect to make any money out of it, it was just something funny that they asked me to send to the author for his amusement. Amusement? No way. Solicitors letter by return - cease and desist from doing anything at all with it. Don't show it to people, and do not do it again! So much for a sense of humour!
    I have been turned down a few times but not by anyone famous like Roald Dhal (estate) ...... sounds like you should stay clear of Dahl !!!

Oh yes Getty and Disney too !!!!

P.S - Love your "Street Songs" video MB glad you got permission o.k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast