Thread: My First Commercial shoot - Pasta Making

Default My First Commercial shoot - Pasta Making

So the other week was my first official commercial shoot.
    A cookery school wants to start creating short films showcasing their talented tutors.

This isn't the final edition for which the school will be using.. this is just my personal cut.

Anyway I hope you enjoy it, here's the very basic setup:
    - Panasonic GH2 using 44Mbps intra hack
    - Lumix 14-42mm & Canon 50mm 1.8 FD
    - Rode Videomic Pro
    - Manfrotto 701HDV Head & Velbon Sherpa Legs
    - 2x 150W Daylight balance hard lights

Cut and CC'ed in Premiere Pro CS5

Last edited by benesotor; 03-04-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Link broken?
    Tim

Woops, should be working now!

Blog Entries

Thanks for sorting the link.

It looked good but I'm a bit confused as to how instructional it was meant to be. The instruction just fizzled out. This can easily be sorted, but I think it needs the verbal instruction to continue. Alternatively, if we're just watching someone practicing their craft then leave it off altogether.

Yes, it's probably obvious what's going on, but not to me. I've no idea from that video whether I'm meant to leave the tagliatelle after it's been through the machine (is this machine general purpose or does it only make tagliatelle? where can I buy one? all things a voiceover should explain) before cooking it. I can see I put it in a pan of boiling water, but for how long?

It seems strange that I'm not give this information when in the same film I'm shown an egg being cracked and told I need to crack an egg!

There was a focus problem at 1:35 looked to me like autofocus was searching.

I liked the idea of the pan shots of the environs to indicate time passing, but I hated the fact you didn't get the camera above the perspex windsheild.

It was a bit wierd showing the cooking school so empty - obviously this makes for a better opportunity to film, but it does rather give the impression the place is not popular. It may be worth grabbing some shots of the place at a time when it is full,

I would have liked a lower third introducing the demonstrator - she didn't even get a credit at the end (she may, of course, have agreed only if she's not credited - in whuch case what can you do?)

But those criticisms aside (sorry), I thought the sound was good and well balanced (maybe a trifle "roomy" at the beginning), the music absolutely right, the shots (apart from the two instances I've mentioned) well shot and well chosen and the editing and pace just right.

So that's a thumbs up from me!
    Tim

I thought pasta was made using Durham wheat, so was confused by the branded flour suggested, also I know DoF is one of thoiose features cinema likes, because it helps focus (literally) on the hero, but I thought there was too little in focus and I was surprised a cooking school breaks eggs on the corner of the workbench. Also if you mix metal to metal in a bowl it won't stay shiney for long. I still use one of those old-fashioned eartheware mixing bowls, it has a "foot" to stop it moving about and being thick helps to keep contents cold.

I agree with TS other comments espcecially a voice-over and within a few seconds I was hoping for a "Hi, do come in, today we . . . ." If the school was busy then I guess you have issues with permissions, perople getting in the way, noise, etc.but you can usually get not-too-old children to watch a cake being mixed and use cutaways to jolly (the other) vids along..... I have to say it was pretty good for a first attempt, well done.

If it's intended for an advertisment, then I'd suggest an opening "menu style" title, highlighting whichever item you are teaching... that way each one advertises the next . . . along with yr contact details.

PS Lighting was so good I didn't notice!
    Last edited by vidmanners; 03-04-2012 at 09:48 PM.

nicely shot but there was a bit to much of the room's ambient sound for my liking ..maybe because i just spent a day editing a close mic piece ? i dunno....

i like the overlay text at the end is that something you did in premiere ?

Thanks for the feedback, don't apologize ha!
    I should've probably made this more clear... but it wasn't supposed to be a instructional video, nor an advert for the school, not this one anyway. It's more of a dedication to pasta making, not the cookery school.
    For the official video there will be some voice-over put over the top, her speaking was on the most part her explaining the process to me! So once the final product is finished you'll have a much better idea about what's going on (I hope!)

I will be revisiting the school to capture what an actual tutorial is like, that wasn't the intent behind this video.

Re. sound, now you mention it the nat-sound might be a bit heavy. I mixed with headphones so over-compensated for what I thought was very quiet background sound.

The text at the end was a transparent Photoshop layer imported into Premiere, I'm not sure if there's an effect like that native in PP.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benesotor View Post
    The text at the end was a transparent Photoshop layer imported into Premiere, I'm not sure if there's an effect like that native in PP.
    It's a fairly simple effect to do (I agree it looked very good here - down to a combination of the colour of the video in the background video and the choice of font used).
    Simply ceate a mask using the text and overlay that onto your video - most basic NLEs can do it.
    Tim

A nicely shot piece on the whole, the GH2 takes a very nice image.

On the establishing shots I would have put the long shot of the "cook" after the empty room shots, I think this makes for better continuity, in stead of now you see me now you don't. When you do a focus pull make sure it's all one motion. This needs lots of practice or you can also make your focus ring so you know the start and stop points. On the Tipo shot it looked like two stages as though you just missed it and then did a quick correction.

At 1:53 you can see your lights in the window. I don't think it's a problem with this shoot but something to watch out for when it might look bad in other shoots you do.