Thread: Do we have to compress our videos?

Default Do we have to compress our videos?

Just to be sure (I am n00b) do we compress videos like we compress images for the web?

I am sure the answer is yes - but it isn't clear to me exactly how we would do this.

There is a setting in Rendering that says quality "best" which I guess gives a clue.

Id rather not tinker too much since Im worried ill upset the Vegas default templates but what do you guys to keep your video nice and light?

Thanks!

Great set of questions to be asking. I'll try my best to answer them . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Just to be sure (I am n00b) do we compress videos like we compress images for the web?
    Yes. However, you asking the question kinda reveals just how much we all take for granted when "viewing" anything anywhere. What I mean is that you need to be a little specific under what conditions you are viewing content.

1] Is it for the Web? In which case what do the "host" service providers want your content to be in?

2] Is it for DVD? Well here it is straightforwardly an MPEG flavour

3] Is it for BlueRay?

4] Is it for Editing on your s/w? Here, on this Forum we'd be addressing this for Vegas.

5] Is it for Archiving?

I think I've covered most areas with these 5 points. There will be "other" variations, but mostly the 5 are covering most of what we do.

So, in each of the first 5 - 1>4 - compression is involved. Most certainly for the web. IS there such a thing as a YouTube Camera? Producing YouTube-Ready content?

So, and yes, we compress our "works of art" for the web.

There is a setting in Rendering that says quality "best" which I guess gives a clue.
    What do you think?

Id rather not tinker too much since Im worried ill upset the Vegas default templates . . .
    I've made countless NEW templates, discarded them that were rubbish, created new ones and taken advice from others on what to do. I've named and renamed them, and moved on. I've never ever been able to mess with the Default to the extent it disappeared. So don't worry. "Tinkering" will be the only way to experiment and learn and adapt templates to your own requirements - Sony kinda knows that, and it would be narrow minded and counter productive for them to think that way!

. . . but what do you guys to keep your video nice and light?
    What do you mean? "Nice and light"? Do you mean low file size? Or do you mean: "not dark"?

Just to recap: We Compress our work for the method of delivery that's required/needed:-

* Why do uncompressed for viewing on an iPhone or YouTube?
    * Why compress to iPhone or YouTube if we want to further edit and deliver the best from that edit?
    * Why compress to DVD if I have a BlueRay player?
    * Why compress to BlueRay if I ONLY have a DVD player?

The means/method of delivery should always determine the means/method of Compression. I can't see an occasion where it would be the other way around?

Great questions. I hope my long winded replies haven't daunted you to go ahead and experiment. After all, It's what I did . . and still do!!!

Last edited by Grazie; 03-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks Grazie I have learned a lot from this too

Wow thanks for all replies. Id like to absorb all this info and come back with a few more questions if that is ok