Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky And Me - Directors Cut

Default Rocky And Me - Directors Cut

Short film i made for Chris which hopefully will help in recording his riding progress.
    This is the shorter edit of a nine minute version.
    As ever, i'd appreciate your critique

reloaded on page 2

[video=youtube;1Pe=youtu.be[/video]
    Last edited by enc; 03-11-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Mr C I think you have made another great video.

I know I've said this before but I think you have a great eye for a shot. (There are to many to list). The pace of the editing seems perfect for the piece including the titles. If you are a horsey person the length would be ok but if your not then it could do to be about a min or so shorter. May be cut down the riding montage that starts around 4 mins.

I think I might have been tempted to put a soft focus effect on that section but I'm a bit old fashioned. The galloping towards the camera shot was mint. There was only one shot that stood out as being one which shouldn't have got into the edit. At 1:05 the close up of the hands are very over exposed. The over all look/grading was very nice.

Sound wise I think you nailed it. May be just a few more horse hove sounds on the riding sections.

I can't really say how good I think your "Me & My" videos are. They could and should be on the TV. They are always sympathetically made to the individual being filmed, giving an insight or snapshot of an aspect of their lives which you manage to communicate brilliantly.

Another winner.

Blog Entries

I think the first thing I should say was having seen it was a 7:41 video I was expecting it to be longer. In other words it didn't feel like that long - even though I thought the titles were a bit slow at the beginning - so that has to be a good thing.
    It was another good "personal" film, but I don't think I was quite as taken by it as Midnight. Whilst the talents enthusiasm and understated pride comes across well, at 16, he simply hasn't yet developed the sort of personality which makes, for example, the camper van guy such an interesting person. This is nobody's "fault", it's simply a bit less interesting because of it.

The close ups in the stable (of both the horse and iof Chris) worked best for me - they had more depth and better colours - a much more sumptuous feel than the riding shots. The shot at 5:52 (which appears to be a repeat of an early intor shot) has quite a blue/green cast and appears substantially colder than the rest.

I didn't mind many of the shots being repeated, having been previewed in the title sequence, but one in particular jumped out at me - the one of the talent walking towards the camera carrying the saddle and grooming kit - perhaps the slo-mo and colouring on this one in the "preview" wasn't enough to make it feel different.

These riding shots were OK. I preferred the "artsy" ones if anything - like the shot of part of a jump where we just get the blur of horse and rider passing across the camera lens, or the shot at 4:41 - which leads me on to another point. This shot finished with the horse and rider half riding out of screen - normally a no-no - but as it dissolves into a closer shot of horse and rider walking in the same direction, it works. Unfortunately there are several other cuts which don't work so well for me. I must admit, I play safe and always try to let a moving subject exit the screen before cutting. There's also a bit of noticable autofocus or autoexposure going on in some of these shots (eg 5.02-5:04 - which is a shame because its another of those "artsy" shots I like).

Music: This, I stress is a personal and subjective call - just my opinion. I'm sorry, it didn't work for me. Much as I love Ry Cooder I think it killed it to put a US Midwest flavour on the film. I know we associate this music with cowboys and riding and horses, but for me this cheapened the film. Chris doesn't dress as a cowboy, there's no suggestion that he's anything other than a north of England lad or that he fantasizes about the US and I think the music should reflect this. I know America was an English band, but they were clearly mimicking the Crosby, Stills & Nash West Coast sound - and before you say anything I know Graham Nash was actually English ... but you get my point. Your films seem to celebrate personalities from, not just England, but a fairly specific part of northern England. I think it's a shame you chose to put music on it which reflects something else. Admitedly it would be a challenge to find something English which might be suitable (assuming you want to avoid the theme to "Black Beauty" which would have been even worse!) but I think the film would be better for it.

Two other minor points.
    I think it would be useful (in this worldwide arena) to put at least a country, and possibly a county, on the title which says "Delph Farm" so we ghave some idea where in the world we are.

The close up of the sign saying "Rocky" was held for far too long. We'd already seen it for long enough to read three times in the previous shot - the close up is nice but there's no need for more than a glimpse.

Despite what actually amount to very minor gripes above, I thought it was very well structured, nicely paced and nicely edited. Good sound, well balanced with a clear voiceover.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Mr C I think you have made another great video.

I know I've said this before but I think you have a great eye for a shot. (There are to many to list). The pace of the editing seems perfect for the piece including the titles. If you are a horsey person the length would be ok but if your not then it could do to be about a min or so shorter. May be cut down the riding montage that starts around 4 mins.

I think I might have been tempted to put a soft focus effect on that section but I'm a bit old fashioned. The galloping towards the camera shot was mint. There was only one shot that stood out as being one which shouldn't have got into the edit. At 1:05 the close up of the hands are very over exposed. The over all look/grading was very nice.

Sound wise I think you nailed it. May be just a few more horse hove sounds on the riding sections.

I can't really say how good I think your "Me & My" videos are. They could and should be on the TV. They are always sympathetically made to the individual being filmed, giving an insight or snapshot of an aspect of their lives which you manage to communicate brilliantly.

Another winner.
    Cheers MB im aiming to put together something with a bit of substance rather than a collection of nice shots. your're right about the over exposed clips. im not going to make excuses they shouldnt have been included. Yes, its still quite long at 7.40 the original is over 9 minutes. that version is for chris only thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think the first thing I should say was having seen it was a 7:41 video I was expecting it to be longer. In other words it didn't feel like that long - even though I thought the titles were a bit slow at the beginning - so that has to be a good thing.
    It was another good "personal" film, but I don't think I was quite as taken by it as Midnight. Whilst the talents enthusiasm and understated pride comes across well, at 16, he simply hasn't yet developed the sort of personality which makes, for example, the camper van guy such an interesting person. This is nobody's "fault", it's simply a bit less interesting because of it.

The close ups in the stable (of both the horse and iof Chris) worked best for me - they had more depth and better colours - a much more sumptuous feel than the riding shots. The shot at 5:52 (which appears to be a repeat of an early intor shot) has quite a blue/green cast and appears substantially colder than the rest.

I didn't mind many of the shots being repeated, having been previewed in the title sequence, but one in particular jumped out at me - the one of the talent walking towards the camera carrying the saddle and grooming kit - perhaps the slo-mo and colouring on this one in the "preview" wasn't enough to make it feel different.

These riding shots were OK. I preferred the "artsy" ones if anything - like the shot of part of a jump where we just get the blur of horse and rider passing across the camera lens, or the shot at 4:41 - which leads me on to another point. This shot finished with the horse and rider half riding out of screen - normally a no-no - but as it dissolves into a closer shot of horse and rider walking in the same direction, it works. Unfortunately there are several other cuts which don't work so well for me. I must admit, I play safe and always try to let a moving subject exit the screen before cutting. There's also a bit of noticable autofocus or autoexposure going on in some of these shots (eg 5.02-5:04 - which is a shame because its another of those "artsy" shots I like).

Music: This, I stress is a personal and subjective call - just my opinion. I'm sorry, it didn't work for me. Much as I love Ry Cooder I think it killed it to put a US Midwest flavour on the film. I know we associate this music with cowboys and riding and horses, but for me this cheapened the film. Chris doesn't dress as a cowboy, there's no suggestion that he's anything other than a north of England lad or that he fantasizes about the US and I think the music should reflect this. I know America was an English band, but they were clearly mimicking the Crosby, Stills & Nash West Coast sound - and before you say anything I know Graham Nash was actually English ... but you get my point. Your films seem to celebrate personalities from, not just England, but a fairly specific part of northern England. I think it's a shame you chose to put music on it which reflects something else. Admitedly it would be a challenge to find something English which might be suitable (assuming you want to avoid the theme to "Black Beauty" which would have been even worse!) but I think the film would be better for it.

Two other minor points.
    I think it would be useful (in this worldwide arena) to put at least a country, and possibly a county, on the title which says "Delph Farm" so we ghave some idea where in the world we are.

The close up of the sign saying "Rocky" was held for far too long. We'd already seen it for long enough to read three times in the previous shot - the close up is nice but there's no need for more than a glimpse.

Despite what actually amount to very minor gripes above, I thought it was very well structured, nicely paced and nicely edited. Good sound, well balanced with a clear voiceover.
    Thanks for the detailed critique Tim much appreciated im going to do a slight re-edit taking on board some of the points you raised... namely the Delph Farm title and the Rocky sign. I agree the Ry Cooder music is not ideal but trust me, i tried a few different tracks and this was the best compromise.... it wasnt intended to suggest Cowboys LOL but i can see where your're coming from now that you mention it. re the voice over .... this was about the fifth take and tro be fair to Chris done without actually seeing the film. its prettyn chopped yp to pad it out over the film and to edit out the errs and tongue twists. IMO its deliverd slightly too fast and sounds as though its being read ..... which it was!
    as i said it was the fifth take and not really improving with each take.

Blog Entries

I don't think there was much wrong with Chris' voiceover - I thought he did a good job. It's interesting that you think it might be a bit fast - my southern ears, which are presumably less acostomed to his accent (which wasn't very pronounced) than yours, didn't find it so.

As for the music, I'll freely admit, I don;t have any sparkling ideas for what you might ohave used instead. And I had forgotten that the sort of National Steel slide guitar used in the opening is also used for parts of Shameless - set in your neck of the woods - so perhaps more appropriate than I first gave it credit for.
    Tim

IAnd I had forgotten that the sort of National Steel slide guitar used in the opening is also used for parts of Shameless - set in your neck of the woods.
    interesting analogy Tim LOL ! It's not all shameless like up here ya know

It's not all shameless like up here ya know
    That would be like saying Yorkshire is only like Last of the Summer Wine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    interesting analogy Tim LOL ! It's not all shameless like up here ya know
    Indeed. I was trying to pay a compliment to the way you'd so effortlessly contrasted two different aspects of Mancurian life!

But ....
    RembrandtRob claims Cornwall is all Doc Martin and I claim that all Surrey is indeed leafy. Even if I have to carry the leaves there myself.
    Tim

Indeed. I was trying to pay a compliment to the way you'd so effortlessly contrasted two different aspects of Mancurian life!

But ....
    RembrandtRob claims Cornwall is all Doc Martin and I claim that all Surrey is indeed leafy. Even if I have to carry the leaves there myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast