View Poll Results: SLR, Bridge Cam, Camcorder or other?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • DSLR

2 100.00%
  • Bridge Camera

0 0%
  • Video Camera

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a DSLR the Best Option for Our Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I still think a camcorder would suit you best, particularly after re-reading your first post. You're not going ti get a fab lens for 90, and the only demonstrable will be the ability ti achieve shallow DOF. Which ain't all it's cracked up to be. If I had 600, I'd spend 400 on a camcorder. If you get good use out if it, you can sell it on eBay and starg to invest in a DSLR etc. I just can't recommend a DSLR for someone just starting out, abc on a budget.
    Yeah it would be good to hearfrom them.. I could put this thread in another place perhaps?

Really? That much? The sales assistant at jacobs who seemed a bit more knowledgable of DSLR's than the guy in jessops, said the d600 would be 600, then less than 100 for a lens recommended for filming and less than 100 for a good mic for filming. From their shop..

There isn't really ONE lens that will do everything (that's the thing with DSLRs) and certainly not for 100. I'm sure it will be fine, but the beauty of a DSLR is the ability ti stick a good lens on a cheap body for good video.

Canon Legria HFM41

800, Simple mic input, Great automatic controls and settings.

You can make "good art" on a Iphone, The difference between Iphone and 40K film cameras is the percentage of "quality" and "Non-distraction" from the art.

But all of this comes down to lighting, Tripods, Dollies, Audio ( Audio is a must!) and a great deal of technique and production standards.

Buying a DSLR will never = Great looking film, It will make great looking image, But great looking film which tells a story is very different to great looking imagery, I can film a tax report from HRMC being read out with a stunning film camera, But I won't win any awards for it.

There isn't really ONE lens that will do everything (that's the thing with DSLRs) and certainly not for 100. I'm sure it will be fine, but the beauty of a DSLR is the ability ti stick a good lens on a cheap body for good video.
    Yeah I'm not exactly sure whatthis lens is that he recommended and what it does but he says it's the one film students often buy with the camera and the on recommended for filming. There's probably others that are good for filming too im sure.. hmm

I certainly woukdn't go with what film students buy .

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Canon Legria HFM41

800, Simple mic input, Great automatic controls and settings.

You can make "good art" on a Iphone, The difference between Iphone and 40K film cameras is the percentage of "quality" and "Non-distraction" from the art.

But all of this comes down to lighting, Tripods, Dollies, Audio ( Audio is a must!) and a great deal of technique and production standards.

Buying a DSLR will never = Great looking film, It will make great looking image, But great looking film which tells a story is very different to great looking imagery, I can film a tax report from HRMC being read out with a stunning film camera, But I won't win any awards for it.
    We definately understand that and the artistic and creative flare is what we DO have as a team as well as the knowledge base between our group and willingness to further learn and study to achieve the effects we desire.It's just now the technology we need to decide on! Hopefully we can make anything work for us, BUT it would be good to figure out what would be better..

In a way I think we would like to be able to have a bit more manual input. For us a great looking image is a great place to start, and if DSLR gives us a better image than a camcorder we'd be inclined to go for that, especially having SLR experience already. The film might turn out rubbish, who knows but we want to have the best fighting chance at making something beautiful, even if it does take some hard work and experimentation and a learning curve. Like I said we do have the creativity by the bucket load, literally bursting to be let out (hence why we can't wait any longer to create something together) Jess has filming and animation (stop frame) and editing experience, I have SLR and photography experience and being a painter I get composition.. We also know people in the film industry or who have had more experience in editing who might be willing to help us out. If a DSLR set up to film gives us more creative control and a better image then I think that is what we should go for because then there is always that potential to get the most out of the technology if we put the work in..

Camcorder does sound like an easier, quicker more automatic option, but if the image quality isn't as great and we can't control as much (plus apparently the sound will pick up a LOT even unwanted noise like traffic far away etc) is it worth it just for an easier life and a more guarenteed outcome? I don't know for certain yet but I think it would be more worth money in the long run to have something we know we could push to it's maximum potentional..

What might help you to know is the film will probably have a piece of music over it most the time and not much audio from the actual footage.. we're going to be filming in clips anyway as the settings and scenes are going to be very diverse.. though there will be some sort of progression or narrative.. just not a very obvious one.. beautiful images then seem more important..

Another thing to consider is, Jess wanted an SLR for stills anyway as well..so in a way this is killing two birds with one stone.. BUT I am still open to the idea that if it isn't right for the project it isn't right!

I just wish we could try both out somehow.. I will be replacing my old SLR anyway soon, but not in time for this projects beginning.

thanks again all

To be honest, it sounds as if your heart is set on a DSLR and your working toward that justification . Go on, take the plunge and start having fun. We ask just one thing - please post your work here fr us to view.

To be honest, it sounds as if your heart is set on a DSLR and your working toward that justification . Go on, take the plunge and start having fun. We ask just one thing - please post your work here fr us to view.
    haha you could be right.. it might in part be because I love them, having had one for years.. But mainly it's because that was what Jess was leaning towards before going away and what I told her I would research more into. We've been leaning more towards camcorders before though at two seperate points during our research!

Please, everyone do continue to recommend camcorders if you feel we could get superior films from them over DSLRs, especially if you do use them yourself and prefer them! Feel free to list the reasons why you think they produce superior films for the money.. We;'re mainly concerned about getting the best look we can, no matter the work it takes and budget could perhaps be added to but not too greatly.

Of course, if budget was unlimited we would go for a proper video camera, but if there's some sort of compromise inbetween that and 400-800 range camcorders (which all seem to have similar image quality)

Also out of interest what lens WOULD you recommend for filming on a canon 600d ?

I had a little look at some test videos of canon legria compared to canon 600d and preffered the look of the latter although perhaps the film-makers were more experienced..

Cinematic Look: Canon 600D (Rebel T3i) - YouTube -
    this one uses a fixed lens (i think) which seems to cost around 80

oh we will definately have to now :p but just don't laugh if it's rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by DawnUnicorn View Post

Cinematic Look: Canon 600D (Rebel T3i) - YouTube -
    this one uses a fixed lens (i think) which seems to cost around 80
    I have the 50mm 1.4. I find the field of view a bit limiting (on a crop sensor) especially when working close to subjects with limited room. if you were only buying one lens, perhaps consider getting a wide prime or a zoom. For the 60d, that woukd be somethn less than 35mm. It will give you greater flexibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast