Thread: New Song & Music Video

1. Default New Song & Music Video

Hi all,

Im really proud of this one and id love to hear what you all think, song & video!

SO HARD - YouTube

Thanks

C

Firstly I like your retro style music so that helps. The video is a lot more ambitious than your previous ones so well do for being brave. (that's not meant to patronise you).

I like the performance you put into it and I think the tone of the video fits the song well. There are a few technical issues which I'm sure your aware of. The worst for me wasn't the vibration of the in car "time-laps" shots I thought it looked ok for a music video. It was the dark in car shot. Why didn't you use the light source you had when you were sitting outside the car. Even a normal torch with a bit of paper in front of it to act like a diffuser would have look better than the really dark shot.

The editing and the pace seemed right and I thought the blue colour work you did works.

So technically not perfect but a good effort. Well done.

Blog Entries

I quite liked the looks you'd created. Initially I liked the sound and the video but it wore rather thin with me, just seeming to be more of the same - neither the song nor the video seemed to develop. Possibly I wasn't paying enouggh attention.

Some of the singing didn't seem convincing - were you really singing along with the track or just miming?
    Tim

4. Default

Thanks for the kind words.

The in car shot was filmed in a retail park and in hindsight I should have used a torch. The other car scenes are outside my house so I could hook up a work light, better obviously.

And yes Tim I was miming mostly, I film alone so it can feel a bit awkward, if I had more of a "crew" I wouldn't feel so self conscious I suppose, its a confidence thing. Its difficult to do it all but I'm yet to find collaborators. I can't concentrate fully on the performance.

Cheers guys

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    And yes Tim I was miming mostly, I film alone so it can feel a bit awkward, if I had more of a "crew" I wouldn't feel so self conscious I suppose, its a confidence thing.
    Wow. I totally understand. Getting someione else behind the camera - even if they're not actually touching it - is great for moral support. I've found this with walking up to complete strangers for an interview.
    Tim

Great piece of work... Your music is great and the video aint bad either.

Its very hard to do this all yourself... Its not really the problem of learning to edit the video, or write the songs, or think about the story of a video. All those creative pieces can all be done separately and in your own head. Doing all those things on your own will add to production time. The problem is when you need to do them all at once.... together.... then it gets tricky.

Just having someone to help out will make a world of difference... nerves will slow you down.... getting a stranger to come into your world can be intimate, embarrassing and may even feel silly. But that wont last long at all.

It depends on where you want to take your work. If you wanna do the music but really want to direct a video then strike up a relationship with someone who wants to hold a camera.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising or condescending, its not meant to be. I'm speaking from experience. I wanted to make some videos, I wanted copyright free music to work with or at least permission to use it. I remembered an old friend who was in a band. Tracked him down. Turned out he was looking for someone to make a video.

The first shoot we were all really nervous. We got used to each other real quick. Me at pointing the camera right in their faces, them at having the camera around them.

I guess what I'm saying is go look for another pair of hands, there are people out their who want to do this.

Just need to find one. You wont regret it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonmin troll View Post
    Hi all,

Im really proud of this one and id love to hear what you all think, song & video!

SO HARD - YouTube

Thanks

C
    Where are you based? Someone local on the forums would no doubt gladly like to be involved