Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Encore DVD folder or disc image

Default Adobe Encore DVD folder or disc image

Is it best to make a DVD folder or a disc image in Encore?

I was thinking that if my DVD was too large for a disc I could compress it using DVD2One before copying the files to disc. Are audio_ts and video_ts created in the folder? If so do they both have to be compressed.

Hope this makes sense.

I find it's best to make a DVD folder, because you can use any burning software you like then.

Audio_ts and Video_ts folders are created in the folder,
    but whenever I make a dvd there's never anything in the Audio_ts folder, even when I have multiple audio tracks, I guess it's for 5.1 sound or something, If there's something in there I expect you can compress it if you need to.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

Thanks for the info bgarthp. I suspected that was what happened but was not sure. When writing DVD's I had to include an empty audio_ts folder. Never understood why it was empty but I think there was no audio if it was missing. I only compressed the video_ts folder. I will make a DVD folder on my next project to try it out.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Adobe Encore DVD folder or disc image

Quote Originally Posted by Davlin
    I was thinking that if my DVD was too large for a disc I could compress it using DVD2One before copying the files to disc. Are audio_ts and video_ts created in the folder? If so do they both have to be compressed.

Hope this makes sense.
    This is a bad idea. If you do this, you will lose quality by transcoding twice; MPEG is a lossy codec and you will lose quality with each encode generation. Limit the size of your MPEG when converting from DV so that you DVD is full. If you're using Encore to transcode, let Encore chose the bitrate to maximise quality.

The main audio is included in the VOB file. Extra audio tracks would be included in the audio_ts folder. Audio can be uncompressed PCM, MPEG 1 layer II or AC3. AC3 and MPEG are compressed meaning you can fit more video onto any given disc at any given video bitrate. You may find compatability problems with some players.

Marc: where is the option for Encore to choose encoding quality? I have a VHS of my daughter in the village pantomime. It runs to two hours and I plan to transfer it to DVD: quality is less of an issue than getting it all on one DVD. I assume that Encore looks and says "hmmm, I've only got 4.7GB to play with here, so I need to compress really, really hard to fit it all in"? (As an aside: if I leave Encore to always choose the quality, will it automagically use the highest quality setting if I have oodles of space on the DVD relative to the size of the project?)
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Blog Entries

A 4000kbits VBR (even with PCM audio) should do the trick. You probably won't even notice the reduction in "quality", but could beef the bitrate up a bit if you use MPEG Layer II.

Can't remember off hand re: encoding options in Encore (I use an external encoder and import the m2v and wav files into the project).

Thanks Mark. I'll take a look.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Thanks for the info Marc

I will have to study the Encore files on bitrate & disc writing as it all new to me.

I did notice that when I wrote the project to disc it seemed to take a very long time to complete the writing part than I normally take to write a DVD. This was another reason why I used DVD2ONE, then wrote the disc in about a third of the time.

Is there a reason why the writing is slow? I had the write speed set to the correct speed for my writer, 4X

Dave

Blog Entries

It will normally do more than "just" write data to disc. It will go through the process of arranging the DVD structure which you would have had to have done when creating a folder.

I find the easiest way (once you're happy with the build) is to create an image (ISO) of the DVD. That way you can burn a disc from just one file.

I could not figure out how to create an ISO file in Adobe Encore. Could find no mention in the help files. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast