Thread: Multiple partioned drives or Raid 0 for intensive video edit-render? Need advice.

1. Default Multiple partioned drives or Raid 0 for intensive video edit-render? Need advice.

Hi,

I am having problems with my current system not performing up to speed when using my video editing program. I have since been looking for parts to create a new build, my first. Since it's my first, I am looking for a critique on some parts and also need advice on whether I need to go with a Raid or multiple hard drives for best performance.

Note: System will be used primarily for video editing and possibly moderate gaming.
    I hope to install Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects.

I have selected the I7 2600K/Gigabit GAP67AUD4B3/WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (still looking for the vid card) Do you think these parts will be able to run Premier Pro and After Effects smoothly?

I am quite sure I am going to need more than one hard drive for performance and speed, but am having a spot of difficulty with what configuration I should go with.

What is the best way to be able to run these intensive programs, transcode-edit-render to 720X480 Standard Def without getting the choppiness and frame dropping I am experiencing with my current system. (I only have 1 "green" hard drive now)

Is it better to go with multiple hard drives and partition them?
    Is it better to go with a Raid0 set up?
    Please advise, thanks

Please read the below quite carefully

Do-not-use-raid-zero-it-dangerous

People do it because it is cheap, better to get four disks on a raid 1+0 array ( raid 10 )

Also, what motherboard you got? Stable and efficient PSU? Have you got a plan for air flow and cooling in the system, Have a think about that I suggest!

What about flashing lights no computer is woth it's salt without flashing light.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

^^^ Go back to the Pub and while your at it, bring me a pint.

There's nothing wrong with Raid 0 if used properly with a separate backup drive. It's a simpler, cleaner, cheaper and probably faster (but similar) system than raid 10. I've worked with it for years, I've never had one fail on me, but if I did I'd be in no dangerous position.

David.

It's when users start using it with no backup what-so-ever, then it becomes very dangerous...the drives are not going to explode, but unless your careful with your data, it's a bad idea.

Definately, so it holds exactly the same amount of danger as using a normal hard drive without a back up but with massive performance differences. Being a simpler system it also runs that little touch faster than a raid 10 and while running raid 0 with backup is no less or more dangerous than doing so, it is far less likely to have problems.

Raid 10 (with it's automatic backup) may be a touch more convenient than raid 0 with a separate (and more reliable) back up but it also makes your computer work harder and hotter, I advocate raid 0 over any other and I run it with OSX TIme Machine. The bottom line is that there are 2 levels of raid, stripping and mirroring. Striping for performance, and mirroring for security. Any form of diluting that stripe with a mirror slows the performance somewhat and raises the risk of relying on the mirror. But for sure, raid 10 is the closest to performance matching to a level where it shouldn't be noticed.

But it's only dangerous if used incorrectly, and exactly as dangerous as using a normal hard drive.

I'll change that a bit. Maybe not exactly, as standard drive recovery (if using without backup) is cheaper and perhaps more likely that raid 0 recovery.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 02-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Please read the below quite carefully

Do-not-use-raid-zero-it-dangerous

People do it because it is cheap, better to get four disks on a raid 1+0 array ( raid 10 )

Also, what motherboard you got? Stable and efficient PSU? Have you got a plan for air flow and cooling in the system, Have a think about that I suggest!
    Was hoping to avoid going with 4 disks to keep it more budget friendly. Can I get by with less drives than 4? I'm hoping I can do 2.

For the board I'm going with the Gigabit GAP67AUD4B3. PSU I have not selected yet and air flow I am going with fans at least 3 of them 120mm on front/side and rear.