Thread: Kodak -- and film -- saying goodbye to the Oscars

Default Kodak -- and film -- saying goodbye to the Oscars

Kodak -- and film -- saying goodbye to the Oscars

A Hollywood legacy that will soon be no more...35mm film. "Cut! Render!"

Really sad news. Once they had a complete monopoly on the film industry and now… Sad to see it go this way but it goes to show no matter how successful you are unless you move with the times you will get left behind. 'I'm shooting a digital' doesn't really have the same ring to it though!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    Really sad news. Once they had a complete monopoly on the film industry and now… Sad to see it go this way but it goes to show no matter how successful you are unless you move with the times you will get left behind. 'I'm shooting a digital' doesn't really have the same ring to it though!
    Don't worry about it. Just say you're filming because, unless you are a big studio or director, everyone will assume you are using a digital camera.

As the film industry evolves from film (analogue) to digital, I must assume it is sharing a common fate with the music industry and their earlier shift from tape (analogue) to digital files. With compressed digital music files (like mp3) you are not getting the full richness of the original sound. I think someone said with compressed digital audio you are only getting about 3% of the fullness compared to a vinyl record. Therefore, I must assume that what you see as compressed digital video is also sacrificing much of the subtle hues and colors normally seen with a projected 35mm film. And, as the article mentioned, even stuff filmed today in old 35mm is edited and post produced in digital, and now distributed in digital. Everything has a trade off, and the economies of digital dictates the $$$flow.

ahh, nostalgia aint what it used to be !!! gotta move with the times.

I was listening to something on the wireless the other day. A guy who had been a projectionist at his cinema for 25 years was in danger of loosing his job because cinema films are now shown from a hard drive. Cinemas no longer require the amount off staff they once did. sad fact of the times unfortunatly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Cinemas no longer require the amount off staff they once did.
    Yet, despite the fact tha wages must have been the highest running costs of cinema, they charge ever higher prices and ludicrous amounts for beverages
    Tim

What I don't understand is that Kodak made the first digital camera but have still gone bust, so what went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Yet, despite the fact tha wages must have been the highest running costs of cinema, they charge ever higher prices and ludicrous amounts for beverages

i hear ya ! A work colleague was telling me he took his wife and son to see the new Nicholas Cage movie Ghost Rider in 3D. once he'd payed for the seat upgrades and the extra because the film was 3D it cost close on 40..... without snacks

And then, after you've forked out a small fortune for tickets, you have to put up with a couple talking loudly through the whole film as I found out on Friday during 'The Woman in Black.'
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

No doubt the demise of Kodak will be raked over in financial journals, and maybe a documentary (mixing old filmstock with digital!).
    But the facts seem to suggest that Kodak didn't see the death of silver as being anything like as rapid as it was. The problem with large corporations is that there is no-one to tell them how to behave when a new tech comes along.
    Kodak may have introduced a digital camera early-on (and indeed been telling us how cheap their inkject printers are) - but these were probably "side-shows" to their profit-stream which suffered a prolonged drought. That's what they thought, but it wasn't a drought in the sense of natural ebb and flow of rainfall. - it was like someone diverted the river, built a diversion dam, etc. . . . . but the Directors of Kodak were safe in the knowledge it wouldn't affect their retirement . . . . so why bother?

(er, it says on this piece of paper, I found on the train...)

EDIT
    Er, thanks Midnight Blue (#10), I recall Kodak produced a small "Bloggie" camcorder that was waterproof and had a mic-skt.... Yet, they kept telling us how cheap Kodak ink was - and frankly I don't believe advertisers - tell me the RRP -AND- the ml of Ink I get . . . otherwise I suspect the cartridge is filled with Air!
    ntil Kodak can (er, Could), show their prints are very decent AND cheap - who is going to ditch their existing printer??? Makes little sense, to me.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-27-2012 at 01:39 AM.

I think your right Vid. I heard an interview of an ex Kodak director who was trying to push the new tech but the board just poo poo'd him. Hence he is an ex-director.