Thread: Questions Regarding Obtaining Footage

Default Questions Regarding Obtaining Footage

Hi boys and girls!

This has been a huge mystery to me for ages. I'll use a classic ESPN example. They obviously acquire footage from a large variety of sources, i.e high schools, colleges, and professional sports cameras. My question is not only where they get the footage, but how. For example, I watched a recent documentary named "40 Minutes of Hell," a sports documentary on the Arkansas Razorbacks during the 90's. There was footage from the University of Arkansas and various news stations as well as their own cameras.

1.) I know they basically contact the University/news stations and pay a certain amount to use it, but how do they actually get it? Do they just email each other .avi files? Do they mail over some DVD's?

2.) Also, how does a company like ESPN manage all their footage? For example, during a game, they'll pull up highlights of any old game on the spot within a matter of minutes. How/where do they access said footage and edit/splice it so quickly?

I can only really talk from the UK side of things, however from what I've seen, they have digital databases with all archive material for staff to access, some allow online downloads others stick to 'in-house'. Broadcasters will have archive departments and staff who care for all archive material. Everything is well logged and searchable usually. Researchers for programmes will have these details.
    Theres courses where I live specifically for researchers and editors working with archive footage to learn this stuff.

For live things they have people specifically there for running live replays and cutting together sequences on site, I hear it can be a mental job. If they know they are going to run archive material though they'll edit it before the event and play it out when needed.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    I can only really talk from the UK side of things, however from what I've seen, they have digital databases with all archive material for staff to access, some allow online downloads others stick to 'in-house'. Broadcasters will have archive departments and staff who care for all archive material. Everything is well logged and searchable usually. Researchers for programmes will have these details.
    Theres courses where I live specifically for researchers and editors working with archive footage to learn this stuff.

For live things they have people specifically there for running live replays and cutting together sequences on site, I hear it can be a mental job. If they know they are going to run archive material though they'll edit it before the event and play it out when needed.
    Yes you are right. But i would like to tell him that if you want to do the footage of any work any thing then there are some special cameras which are designed for this kind of footage.. you have to buy it and then you can get the same methods. :(

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post

Thanks, that's pretty helpful. I wish I had access to the original footage that these professionals do. I can access different versions of the footage, but it's in a resolution like 320*240, of course. I suppose that's why color correcting and sharpness are quick lessons for us beginners.