Thread: Importing VHS(c) footage into Premiere

Default Importing VHS(c) footage into Premiere

I'm off on holiday in a couple of weeks and I'd like to take a camera with me so that I can make a brief video montage of the week when I get back.

I don't have a camera of my own (and it seems a little excessive to buy my own just yet), but I've managed to borrow one from a friend. The only issue is that it's a few years old and records on to those tapes that are a little smaller than a cassette but about three times as thick. When you want to watch footage back, you have to put that tape into a "VHS Tape" that is inserted into the video player. I believe it's called VHS(c) format.

Anyway, the point of my post is that I'm concerned whether I'll be able to import this footage into Premiere so that I can edit it and if I can, how I might be able to do that. I'm guessing I won't be able to use Firewire, but is there someway that I could get the tape to play in the video camera while also recording it in Premiere?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz - 2x512MB RAM - 120GB Hard Drive - Plextor PX-712A 12x4x DVDRW - Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate 256MB - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - Adobe Premiere Pro, Encore(v1) and Audition (v1.5)

MJ: yeah, it's feasible I believe. You just put your VHSC tape into the full size VHS adapter and bung it into the VCR as per usual - or as you say, just play the tape in the camera. That's the easy part. Then, you need to find a way of connecting the VCR or camera to your PC, bearing in mind that the VCR/camera is outputting analog data and what your PC needs is digital data - so you'll have to have an input on your PC that will do this (and your camera will have to provide an appropriate output e.g. s-video or whatever you call the method that uses separate red/yellow/white cables for left/right sound and video). I've heard of it being done with relatively inexpensive TV capture cards, although I and many others on the forum use a purpose built device (by e.g. Canopus) which will cost you upwards of a hundred quid. So the answer to your question is almost certainly 'yes' - but it may cost you money...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Ok - thanks alot for the reply Ian ... sounds like I'll have to think of something else!
    Pentium 4 3.2GHz - 2x512MB RAM - 120GB Hard Drive - Plextor PX-712A 12x4x DVDRW - Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Ultimate 256MB - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - Adobe Premiere Pro, Encore(v1) and Audition (v1.5)

a dvd recorder thats stand alone.

the ones u use to record from tv.

Bung the camera in the back of this and record, u can get them from about 80 quid, or maybe you know someone with one?
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card

OTW: I think the downside of that approach is that editing becomes rather more awkward/cumbersome...
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

You could always buy a digital one from a retailer with a good return policy & return it when you are finished (providing that you return it in the alloted return period). You would simply be "borrowing" it

Dirty little trick I know .. just a thought.

7. Default

i use the dazzle... it has the s-video and composite plugs for the input and it just plugs into the usb. More info
    Then i just plug my vcr into it and capture it into a video editing program.