Thread: Please Help Create an Experimental Online Film Project

Default Please Help Create an Experimental Online Film Project

Film by Democracy is an independent experiment where the audience develops a series that they would like to watch.

It's free and open to anyone.

From story, characters, title, cast and soundtrack, we'll literally be making it up as we go, via votes, surveys, discussions and creative submissions.

The whole process will be open and democratic. Whatever we create will be freely available to view online.

Drama? Romance? Horror? Musical? Sci-Fi?...

VOTE NOW @

An interesting idea! What fun!
    Whilst being an interesting idea, I regret that this particular project appears to have collapsed at the first stage.
    The bureaucracy driving the democracy currently has a 'poll' asking visitors to choose from 10 genres; and my particular preferred 'genre' does not appear in the list. And there is no option to add one. Whilst I am sure my suggestion will be ignored, might it be more sensible to start by creating a census of preferences by pre-publishing the majority of intended polls - and then asking visitors to approve or disapprove the draft options.
    There are a number of uncertainties, e.g. I am not sure how the producers will cope if their final film requires the script is spoken in Japanese and contains a millions Zulus dancing in a sea of custard.

I look forward to seeing the final film. What are the timescales? And what's the budget?

Website not finished yet.
    I'll be back on the 1st of March but until then, I'll reserve judgement.

Hi Tim

Appreciate your comments and glad you like the idea.

You didn't say what your "preferred genre" was, but unless it's documentary (not really possible in a fictional project) it will appear as an option in the next poll - 'What Sub-genre?' This will be a much larger list with just about every genre imaginable.

You will be pleased to know that when the website launches on 1st March there will be both a suggestion box and a forum for people to add any comments or suggestions, as well as put forward votes that they would like to take place.

As for there being a number of uncertainties, that's an understatement. The whole thing is an uncertainty! As far as we know this is the first time anyone has tried this so we don't know where it will lead. Should be fun though.

I think it's a cool idea. I'm really curious to see what kind of participation rates you get. And I wonder if, every time a new decision is made, the people who voted for the unpicked minority choices will tune out? Good luck with it