Thread: What HDD to buy? I need more space?

Default What HDD to buy? I need more space?

Hey guys,

Just a quick one. I am currently running Windows & all programs on my 40GB drive, it is nearly full. All my Video, I keep on a seperate 120GB drive. That is 100% full and I envision that when I capture my next lot of tapes, that I will easily chew somwhere in the vicinity of 250-300 GB.

So my question to you guys is should I just go for a huge 300GB drive, or a combination of two 150-200GB drives. I'm going to be creating a hour long movie, and I've seen and read a couple of things that make me think two maybe be safer and more effeicent than one. If I can do it with one without problems, I'd like too.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. . .

Christian

Christian: it's pretty much true that you should, when possible, reserve one hard drive just for capturing video - that way, the process is uniterrupted by other activity in your PC, and will result in lower frame loss. Also, bear in mind that you'll want to defrag regularly - and defragging a small drive is faster than defragging a large drive. However, in the latter case, it makes little difference whether your drives are physical or logical ones. In the fomer case, a separate physical drive is required. A way forward might be to get the single larger drive and use that for your storage/backup, and reserve the 120GB one for capture.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Well, I don't plan on replacing any of the drives. I just need more space, so a PCI IDE card and more HD's is the only way to go.

I have setup like you say at the moment. I have two physcial drives. My 40GB (WIndows & Progs) is fine. The 120gb drive is FULL of captured video I need for the project.

But I'm going to need about another 250-300GB. So what I wanted to know was more about whether having a single 300gb hard drive is suitable with regard to seek times and what have you. Or would two 160GB drives be better? Or shouldn't it matter at all?

One large drive or two smaller shouldn't make any difference, unless you set up a RAID 1 matrix. But higher capacity HDs sometimes have fewer rpm's, so make sure it's a 7200 rpm (or better).