Thread: Analog-Digital conversion with two camcorders to PC

Default Analog-Digital conversion with two camcorders to PC

Hi everyone. I am attempting to transfer old Hi8 tapes to the PC.

I have a Canon UC-X2Hi (Hi8 camcorder connected via an S-video cable to a Canon MV6i MC (mini-DV) camcorder which is then connected to my PC by a firewire cable. For software I am using the Windows Live Movie Maker.

The software does not seem to detect the Hi8 camera. It detects the MV6i but insists I put a tape in it (and it works perfectly well to import mini-DV tapes from that camera!). However, for this camera to act as a pass-through converter, I understand it must have no tape in it. This evening I have resorted to copying the Hi8 tapes onto mini-DV tapes and then importing those. But this obviously takes at least twice as long.

I am fairly sure I have both cameras on the correct settings to do this, but am more than happy for someone to talk me through from the beginning if they suspect I am making a basic error (this is the first time I have tried this).

Is it the software?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

John

I have done this process also and used my Canon ZR65, the instructions tell me to open the menu and select VCR SET UP ( may be different on your Cannon) then select AV DV OUT and set it to ON. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response 377sps. Those instructions are the same as I have for my camera, but I will double check to make sure I have followed them correctly!

I have downloaded a trial of Vegas Studio so I will see today whether that manages to find my Hi8 camera.

I've now got this sorted. I installed a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements which imports from the Hi8 camera through the digital one just like it is supposed to!