Thread: 'Like Father' Interview

Wink 'Like Father' Interview

Hi everyone.
    Here's a short interview I recently edited under time constraint using FCP7 for a promo/introduction to my current film project, 'Like Father'.
    As always, I'd love to hear what you all think, any major/minor errors all welcome.

I notice some of the moving stills stop moving at the end before the dissolve, and this was something I wasn't able to fix in the time I had. Something to do with the fact that FCP doesn't bring the image motion to a smooth stop when it is doing both a vertical and horizontal movement? I don't know if anyone has a fix/workaround for this, but it would definitely help if I ever came across this problem again.

Just a few observations Rob, Firstly they've got the same sofa as me.

I wasn't keen on the title moving up a little, it looked like an error rather than an FX. The stills didn't play smoothly but you mentioned that. I liked the J cuts and thought the over all presentation was fine.

Well done.

Thanks MB.
    That's a fair comment about the titles. I see what you mean now. Not sure if they would need work, or just to be forgotten as an effect. It's not something I've done often, so probably something that can be perfected. Having said that, I'm not intending to use them much.

Blog Entries

I'm afraid it didn't really draw me in.

This started at the beginning when I couldn't make out the very first line - made harder by not seeing the speaker (so we don't know what sort of voice to expect and we can't see her expression). Perhaps you should introduce her visually before she starts speaking. There's also quite a lot of hiss on the live audio. It appears you've tried to hide this with the music track which i found too loud under the interview. At Staines Movie Makers we have a retired professional wildlife documentary maker and I was very surprised at how quiet both ambient tracks and music tracks are in his films when compared to the average club film. It really is surprising how quiet this can be and yet still remain clearly audible. It seems many of us complain about the high levels of ambient in holywood blockbusters or even BBC dramas, but then we go out and do the same.

The static camera angle/depth really didn't help. I'd have liked to have seen some close ups of the wife and nephew individually. This is perfectly feasible with one camera. I assume they are part of the project and would not be averse to answering the same questions several times. My interview here was done in the space of maybe half an hour and the girls were more than happy to repeat answers. As you can see I didn't go for a "modern" technique of cutting to profiles etc. All the shots are taken from the same camera position, so it mimics how if the viewer were present he might look at the group then from one member to another.

I also wasn't sure which one Phil was in some of the photos - perhaps a highlight might helP?Or maybe I'm just blind.

My other comment is a bit more difficult to deal with the interview all felt onthe same level. It didn't really lead anywhere - there was no light and shade, no peaks and troughs.

Oh- I agree with Midnight about the movement in the titles too. But I don't have the same sofa.

I'm sorry that I've compiled a list of negatives. For a positive, for some reason the film lifted with the first external video shot at 48secs. Then we had a long shot of the horses. Why not some close-ups. The guy worked with animals - so lets see some. Oh, bugger I've gone negative again. I'd better shut up.
    Tim

Thanks Tim.

These are all issues I think could easily be sorted if I were able to go back to it. Our Sound Editor was originally going to be able to lift out some background hum (which they began doing), but we ran out of time. I think after watching the footage back so many times we often don't realise the minute difference between volume of speech vs music. By the end, I already knew what they were saying before they said it, so maybe that's got something to do with lack of judgement.

I totally agree with the use of different angles to spice the cut up a bit. Unfortunately, I wasn't at the interview, I was simply given the footage and images in the edit suite and given 48 hours to compile a short interview sequence.