Thread: Help Needed

Default Help Needed

Please help me out i have made this as my first edit and I need some constructive criticism to make it better please watch

Blog Entries

Hi Elliot,
    The best place to get constructive criticism is here in User Videos so I moved your post here.
    Tim

Blog Entries

A lot of decisions we have to make when filming and editing are tricky, and often we have to sacrifice one element for another. In this particular film I liked the way that the camera was handheld in order to follow the action. Normally I'm pretty opposed to anything that isn't rock steady, but asI've said before and will no doubt say again, in action sequences it is often appropriate.

Here I found that when watching in a small window on my PC,the amount of camera shake was acceptable, but as soon as I watched it full screen - even on a mere 15" screen, it became very difficult to watch. I do wonder whether a helmet cam might be better as the neck is able to absorb more of the bodie's movement.

Next I ask who is this for? It's clearly not showing off professional level skills, but the skils developed so far by the participants - so I presume it's aimed at the participants, their families and their friends. However, that doesn't means (a) it can't be better for them and (b) it can't be made to create a bit more interest for a general audience.

There are several ways you can do this - and none of them are anything to do with adding special effects - I'm delighted you didn't succumb to the temptation of "livening it up" by throwing every effect in the box at it - "unless there's a good reason not to, use a cut" is my motto.

Firstly, you've got a variety of angles, but you should also vary the focal length. Let's have some close ups and extreme close ups. Boots on skis, ski poles in being pushed into the snow, hips swaying as you execute a turn. These needn't all be action shots and can be set up before or after the main shoot.

Get some shots of the location, posters, equipment, people coming in through doors. These will give us a sense of atmosphere and they will also be useful as cutaways in case you just need to hide a glitch in an otherwise good shot - or just need to link two shots which don't edit together well. Also get some shots of spectators. These are very useful.

What the video you've posted doesn't tell us in anything about the participants - following on from the earlier comment about close-ups, let's see some close ups of the faces of them. Let's see the anticipation before they attempt something, the cocentration whilst they attempt it and the reaction after they've completed. Ditto reaction of others in the party and even random spectators (obviously these to not have to be genuine reactions to the stunt(?) we've just watched - this is film: cheat!)

Bring in some ambient audio. For this sort of film I quite like little bits where the music soundtrack drops and the "live" audio isb raised so we hear a "swish" or an utterance from the participant. You could takethis much further and do little interviews - just one liners to the camera, or even go for a whole voiceover/narration thing.

Finally, try to create some sort of narrative. This will help to hold the viewers' interest if they see some sort of story rather than just lots of shots of tricks. A fairly formulaic way (but tried and tested) would be something like this:

Exterior shot of location (and possibly cutaway to sign/noticeboard with the title)
    Participants walk into frame from behind camera and go towards building.
    Enter building.
    Preparation (putting on boots, gear - opportunity for close ups of gera and, most importantly, faces - chatting, anticipation, excitement.
    Then the main sequence complete with reaction shots/closeups etc etc
    Then shots of leaving the snow, buddy-buddy pats on back, self congratulation type stuff - either here or as they exit the location and head towards the carpark.

If there's any way you can build this around them trying to achieve a particular stunt - so much the better.
    Tim