Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A heavy week + a gulp!

Default A heavy week + a gulp!

Later this month, I have a really heavy workload. 2 events on successive days, and the 3rd day is a wedding which is probably our/my most challenging yet . . . . followed by another event.
    Not here for bragging rights (sympathy maybe), just to highlight what many of us are up against when we take projects on, then you suddenly realise they've been booked in, in continuous, strength sapping lumps like this.
    I've no problem with the events, reasonably straight forward, but the wedding is gonna be either a glorious triumph, or a heartbreaker.

The wedding = A late Cathedral wedding then an hours drive to reception.
    The problem = I've agreed to have an SDE ready for the end of the speeches!
    Now normally when I produce an SDE, it's stressful enough getting one ready and tested to play out just before the first dance, so . . . I won't have much time for scoffing if I want this one ready in the time they eat their meal.
    I'm confident I can do it, or I wouldn't have agreed to it, but it's still a knee trembler when you're this side of the wedding day
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

I assume that you've got someone to start digitizing the footage and maybe do a rough cut for you.

Otherwise... BLOODY HELL!!!!!!

You lost me at SDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    I assume that you've got someone to start digitizing the footage and maybe do a rough cut for you.

Otherwise... BLOODY HELL!!!!!!
    Hmm I got a Firestore that I download the clips I need from my cam + the other cam's on tape that I search for the key scenes that I know work. The SDE (same day edit) takes about an hour to capture + construct, then creating/burning the DVD takes about 30 minutes = All down to me I'm afraid.
    I do have time to fiddle a bit during the speeches, but right at the end of these they want it playing onto a 12 foot screen.
    I'm beginning to think I may have time to stick a broom up my a**e too and sweep up while I'm waiting around
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about ??

All I can say is best of luck Zero .......It sounds like a high pressure event.

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about ??

All I can say is best of luck Zero .......It sounds like a high pressure event.

It's a wedding where we edit clips from the day to one of their favourite songs, and yes, it is stressful.
    The first one I ever did was freeebie, just to see how it would work, but the 2nd one was a full blown paying job, in a castle with 200 guests waiting for the 'surprise' (the groom booked it to surprise his new bride)
    The most stressful thing I've ever done for many reasons.
    (1) I was editing in a catering corridor where the trolleys were clattering past while I was furiously editing.
    (2) The laptop crashed twice!
    I was so stressed I went to the groom and said "Sorry, It ain't gonna work, my laptops crashing"
    He said "I don't care how long it takes, They (the guests) can just wait".
    Aargh! So . . . no escape and I finally managed to burn, but not test the DVD, and I just ran to the DVD player & large screen that my wife had set up. Surrounded by 200 guests and e very excited B&G I loaded the DVD and hit play - This is it! The reaction from the B&G + all the guests was just staggering I was the most thrilled. A fabulous experience to film their reactions and from that wedding onwards we nearly always get asked to produce one for our clients.
    I'm sure the one later this month will be just as sensational, but still nerve wracking until they hit the screen.

You are brave!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    . . . I won't have much time for scoffing if I want this one ready in the time they eat their meal.
    I'm confident I can do it, or I wouldn't have agreed to it, but it's still a knee trembler when you're this side of the wedding day
    Doesn't doing it all yourself exposes yourself to risk? I seem to recall you saying you're reluctant to "outsource"... But isn't this job ripe for a second (third?) pair of hands. I'd hate to say there's a formula, but at the very least a dedicated editor could group clips into bins, create timelines and cut out the fat. Creative control is imperative, but someone with an eye could quite easily pick out clips, particularly after seeing your own style. And importantly, it's all non destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Doesn't doing it all yourself exposes yourself to risk? I seem to recall you saying you're reluctant to "outsource"... But isn't this job ripe for a second (third?) pair of hands. I'd hate to say there's a formula, but at the very least a dedicated editor could group clips into bins, create timelines and cut out the fat. Creative control is imperative, but someone with an eye could quite easily pick out clips, particularly after seeing your own style. And importantly, it's all non destructive.
    I quite agree Marc. My/our reputation is at stake and (touch wood) my reservations have been tempered with experience. If I thought the % of 'fail' was too high I would have priced an editor into the job. I love a challenge and must be addicted to my own adrenalin, cause the buzz of making it happen just adds to the thrill when it hits the screen.
    I know I can produce one in an hour and my wife is great at still capturing any shots we need while I crack on. I do have one bonus on this job as an AV company have been brought in to set up the projector and screen. All I do is plug in and pray
    I've had discussions about SDE before and they really are great for business, but the day if one should ever fail, the operator is the biggest lemon in town.
    Having said that, I always explain to clients that I can't guarantee capturing a thing, even for the main DVD. It's never happened, but it could, to any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    You are brave!
    I'm no braver than the next man . . just braver for 10 minutes longer
    Last edited by Zero; 02-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast