Thread: Stereoscopic 3D animated music video: "Everything That Grownups Know"

1. Cool Stereoscopic 3D animated music video: "Everything That Grownups Know"

Quick bit of background: I'm a singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist who has jumped head first into 3D stereoscopic animation. As in, hand-drawn limited 2D animation, but assisted with a computer and rendered in stereoscopic 3D. (Think Yellow Submarine being viewed through a ViewMaster, and you're halfway there.)

Instead of releasing my next album as a CD, I decided to take on the challenge of making a stereoscopic animated video for every track on the album. I plan to release a 3D blu-ray instead of a CD when the project is complete.

The latest video I finished is here:

The Simple Carnival - Everything That Grownups Know (3D) - YouTube

You will need red/cyan glasses to properly view the 3D effect, but you can turn it off by clicking on the 3D button on the YouTube player and choosing "Turn off 3D" from the popup menu.

I'd appreciate any comments/critiques you have. Although I probably won't be changing much on this particular video (I spent the last five months on it), your critiques may help with the remaining videos.

Thanks!

I liked the restrained use of the 3d. It was clear; and did not induce the kinds of eye strain that I sometimes see in anaglyphs. That was probably helped by having avoided those typical 'things coming out of the screen'. In addition, both sides of the picture undistracting (i.e. at the extreme side, where there is no 3d information).
    I got the feeling that the 'virtual' camera was similar for almost all the scenes. In effect, the size of the 3d space and the distance of objects appeared to be the same distance away. Rather than YellowSubmarine, I was thinking Captain Pugwash. I liked the scene of the 'cinema' with the doors opening and the camera moving towards the screen.
    I look forward to seeing the next one, particularly if it can contain more layers.

3. Thumbs up

Thanks for the kind words and helpful feedback, Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    In addition, both sides of the picture undistracting (i.e. at the extreme side, where there is no 3d information).
    Thanks -- I'd used an animated floating stereo window from about 2:19-2:29, then again on the right side of the screen at the 2:35 mark. Good catch

I got the feeling that the 'virtual' camera was similar for almost all the scenes. In effect, the size of the 3d space and the distance of objects appeared to be the same distance away.
    Could you please elaborate? Maybe you could give an example of where your eye would like to see something different?

Rather than YellowSubmarine, I was thinking Captain Pugwash.
    I had to look that up -- we never got that cartoon in the US... Very interesting!

I look forward to seeing the next one, particularly if it can contain more layers.
    Could you elaborate on this as well? There are shots (like the movie theater) where there's technically dozens and dozens of layers, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean (maybe your definition of "layers" is different than mine?).

Thanks again!

I am neither an expert in this area, and am likely using the wrong terms. Please feel free to ignore my comments.
    By 'layers', I mean the discrete objects which can be adjusted into a Z or Distance, for example the Bus with the people in it. I assume the bus could have been cut in 2 or more objects; the nearside and the farside, with their own distance; thus making the bus and passengers more '3d'. I realise of course, that an animator could spend their lifes making increasingy more separate objects.
    By 'camera', I should have said 'movement'. Again, please ignore my comment. You are animating 2d layers, not 3d objects.
    Your anaglyph is much better than any I have done. (youtube user: timand2222).
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 02-15-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: forgot a verb

Wow such a lot of talent - story writing, song writing, animation and more no doubt.

Most impressive was the way you told so much using so little imagery, so well thought out - I like that in any artform

I'm sure this is as close to perfection as you can get with what you are doing, but I'll let the experts speak on that. I watched in 2D, so the above conversation may as well be in Arabic lol.

Must be nice to be able to acheive such good quality creative work

6. Default

By 'layers', I mean the discrete objects which can be adjusted into a Z or Distance, for example the Bus with the people in it. I assume the bus could have been cut in 2 or more objects; the nearside and the farside, with their own distance; thus making the bus and passengers more '3d'.
    Actually, that's how both bus shots are constructed -- there's a front, there's the seat silhouettes, there's the poles (in the case of the city bus), then there's the reverse inside silhouette of the bus. I don't know if that comes across on a YouTube window, but it appears pretty clearly on a large projection screen. (It's even more clear if you're watching on a large projection screen with shutter glasses.)

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Wow such a lot of talent - story writing, song writing, animation and more no doubt.

Most impressive was the way you told so much using so little imagery, so well thought out - I like that in any artform

I'm sure this is as close to perfection as you can get with what you are doing, but I'll let the experts speak on that. I watched in 2D, so the above conversation may as well be in Arabic lol.

Must be nice to be able to acheive such good quality creative work
    Thanks for the exceptionally kind words, Stripe!