Thread: Glitch editing

Default Glitch editing

Grimentz skiing Feb 2012 - YouTube
    Traveled over to Switzerland to do some skiing and took my wearable camera with me. Found a song that was quite glitchy and this was the result. Let me know what you think Cheers, George.

This isn't my kind of thing but I can appreciate the editing work that you have put into this and some of the footage you captured with the GoPo.

Hi George

Switzerland truly is a beautiful place , I would love to go there one day myself but can't ski to save my life !

It is great you have your trip captured on video and your wearable camera did a great job.

What software did you use for the editing George.

Cheers

Yep it pretty amazing, just don't know what language to speak to them in, German of French? (Not that i know how to speak them anyway, got a U in french at school haha) I used sony vegas mate.

Cheers George!

Quote Originally Posted by Slads View Post
    Yep it pretty amazing, just don't know what language to speak to them in, German of French? (Not that i know how to speak them anyway, got a U in french at school haha) I used sony vegas mate.
    depending on where you are in Switzerland, either.

not a big fan of the video, everyone and his cousin uses dubstep in vids nowadays, it's getting old and frankly, it's enough for me to quit watching. From what I've seen, it seemed alright, maybe "special FX" transitions were a little over the top tho.
    Last edited by hadoq; 02-23-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hadoq View Post
    depending on where you are in Switzerland, either.

not a big fan of the video, everyone and his cousin uses dubstep in vids nowadays, it's getting old and frankly, it's enough for me to quit watching. From what I've seen, it seemed alright, maybe "special FX" transitions were a little over the top tho.
    Just trying something different. I will agree and im not a big dubstep fan and the music i used wasnt really that heavy as it is called "dubstep electronic" and was broken up with the vocals. I am more of a electro/chillstep kind of man but i needed a fast paced song that i could use for this video. I showed this video my nan (aged 94) and she liked it haha, im guessing your a bit old fashioned and like slower songs like country music. Anyway thanks for your feedback

Actually I really like music all together, and I actually really like good dubstep. The point that I was trying to make is that, nowadays, a huge amount of amateur and professional videos use dubstep as for it being very popular and dynamic music, it is indeed an easy choice for one who wants to make an "efficient" video.

But I do also believe that, to my liking, it's a "shortcut to efficiency".

As a matter of fact, musical background has proven to be a crucial element in a video or a movie's identity. Music is a vast, deep and complex art, so deep that a whole lifetime is not enough to explore it all. Some like myself have dedicated their lives to explore this world (which is why I don't really like categorizing music, there's good in any styles or genres). What I'm saying is that music choice is one of the crucial elements that should never be overlooked if you're one to care about your artistic identity and how it reflects on the things you create.

You say you want to try something different while in the same time, taking an easy route towards something that is not really yourself (as you mention in your reply, you're more of a electro/chillstep kind of man). Embrace who you are, then. And use this aspect of your culture to give a unique, personal feel to your work. And use it as a challenge to yourself too. Of course it's easier to edit such a vid with a fast paced song, because when you watch other vids like that, it's usually how the most popular ones are done.

This is where you need to know what you want to show. Do you just want to do a fast paced video of people skiing in the mountains, or do you want this video to artistically reflect who you are? there is no wrong answer here, and ultimately, with experience and time, our identity eventually shows up no matter how you approach your work, it becomes an inalienable part of yourself. I believe that this is what we all ultimately seek by creating. Leave something out there that represents us and may still be around after we are no more. Art is one way to immortality after all.

So why haven't you go the electro/chillstep way if that's what you're into? Choosing a music that you truly love will also stimulate your creativity some more, allowing you to grow even more as an artist and giving your work a stronger identity. If you want to diversify, learn to love and appreciate other styles of music, don't believe that you "need" a special kind of music, art has no needs, only inspirations. Take a music that inspires you and just go with the flow.

I believe you have already a pretty good grasp on the technical side of things and for giving identity to your work, you have to learn (if you don't know already) to "let go" and give in to who you truly are as a person. Don't compromise, don't act, just be. Don't believe you "need" anything, all you need is yourself and confidence in who you are.

it's not about trying something different, it's about embracing your uniqueness.

I don't know you, so it's completely out of place, I understand that. but don't take it the wrong way, there is no universal answer. If you don't agree, it's not a big deal, this is how I found my way, artistically, and to my very small skill level honestly, I'm no Spielberg or Lynch. It might help you out, or not at all. if it does, fine. if not, don't sweat it. ^^