Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hd camera for weddings

Default hd camera for weddings

hi, we have been filming weddings for 15 years, progressed from vhs to s-vhs to mini dv, now its time to go up to hd, our problem is that we are not sure whether to go for tape and CF or all solid state, the cams we are looking at now are: sony z1, z5 and z7, which are all dual media.

we use a matrox rtx card, but im thinking we do not need to capture via it if we record onto CF.

we are budgeting upto around 3500 for a camera, but obviously the less we need to spend the better.

does anyone have any good advice here, as im just getting confused at looking at all the available cams.
    am i on the right track thinking of going non tape, and is there a solid state cam available in my price range.

thanks in advance.
    ps: we are also building a new editing pc, with cs5
    Craig
    --------------------------------------------------
    Dell Precision 670 MiniTower - Dual Xeon 2.8GHz/800MHz/2MB,
    2GB DDR2 400 ECC Dual Channel Memory
    Hard Drive 80GB (7,200rpm) SATA
    2nd 250GB SATA Hard Drive
    Dual 19in UltraSharp tft\'s
    Matrox RX100 Extreme
    Premire pro

Just a few random thoughts you may find helpful.

- Hire before you buy, Nothing beats the personal experience of seeing what a camera is like on a gig.
    - Find out the data rate and method of compression used on each camera, Find the one that suits your needs best in terms of storage, quality and compatibility.
    - Consider weight of camera models, If both offer the same but one is lighter, go with that, Give your arms a little bit less strain.
    - Check if it offers 1080i or 1080p.
    - I can have unlimited storage with tape, Just keep dropping in DV cam tapes into my camera and I'm away, You won't have that luxury with a HDD based system, So find out if the storage has plenty of head-room for your purposes. And then add 15% to what you expect to use at maximum. Card systems you can obviously just pop in pre-prepared cards into the camera.

lots to think about there, i was actually thinking of cards rather that hd,
    being honest i dont realy know to much about the tech side, like compression rates, most are offering both 1080i and p
    although i am realy unsure of the difference, daftly maybe im asuming at this level, im gunna get the best alrounder for my money.

craig
    Matrox RX100 Extreme
    Premire pro

Sorry but at 3500 you do need to have a think about what you want, and even if you were not buying a new camera data rates are something you should cover even at a basic level.

We have a few guides on here to help break down some of the numbers for you.

Got this deal in today a BVE special

Go down to the show to have a play on various cameras.
    3500+VAT

http://www.top-teks.co.uk/productpag...1S56EB,20B33,1
    24 Months 0% Finance & FREE Atomos Ninja Recorder, Free NEX-5 stills camera and Lens.

Order your Sony NEX-FS100E and a get a free NEX-5 Camera with Lens and a free Atomos Ninja, worth over 1,000.00!

NEX5 is a nice camera too (now replaced by the touch-screen 5N) - it doesn't say which lens comes with the NEX5 but hope it's the "standard" Zoom. The audio is surprisingly good too.
    That Camcorder look a fine piece of kit, but you'll have to budget for a decent lens.
    Also I'm not clear if a Zoom lens will be motor-driven.
    I think the earlier Sony's Like Z1 are fixed-lenses and whilst superb, there is no possibility for something special. ((Although for Weddings that's hardy an issue, so long as it's reasonably large aperture)) although it quite a heavy camera and basically tape (solid-state is an accessory).....but I guess you still have a heavy tripod for that SVHS gear.
    + Others can confirm, but I don't think Z1 is 1920x1080 HD...now discontinued, so only s/h.

Also there are some quality camcorders available from Canon, not quite top-level, but come with XLR inputs and dual SDHC cards give longer recording-time/or/back-up....and half yr budget with 10x zoom, it should be lighter.

The large-sensor cameras do offer good low-light capability and good for OOF effects; so the bride is the centre of attention.

FWIW I wonder that yr PC spec isn't a tad "under" ?
    - you may need to up that for HD editing.

Z Cheema...Good find at BVE show...

all good info thanks... the only issue i have with the smaller cams is that you end up having the brides uncle comparing his kit to yours.

and we are going to replace the editing pc, like i said in the fierst post.

do you think going for all solid state over tape is the right way, or am i ahead of myself and the current tech.

Craig
    Matrox RX100 Extreme
    Premire pro

Like it or not Card / HDD is the only equipment being made now.
    Tape is going to be harder to get hold off.

Also tape will only give HDV (1440 x 1080) so you will not get full HD or Progressive if required.

I moved over about 18 months ago (JVC HM700) and it is a worrying time with new technology (no wheels going round), but it seems just as reliable as tape.
    The best bit is I have two cards on the camera so I can film non stop for hours as long as I keep changing the cards in relay.
    The capture is easy as well, a 16Gb card loaded with 80mins on it can be ingested in 20mins, a time saver.

The only downside can be the archiving, as there is no tape no as back up, but with cards becoming cheaper that may sort itself out.
    I back up on HDD x 2 when WIP and Blu-Ray when done.

whats your thoughts on this one, we have been using sony since we moved onto mini dv.

Sony HDR-AX2000
    Sony HDR-AX2000 HIGH DEFINITION review cheap prices HDR-AX2000 HIGH DEFINITION Sony best buy discount online uk shop
    Matrox RX100 Extreme
    Premire pro

I have no opinion as I have not used it, the specs look good, but I am guessing not brilliant in low light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast