Thread: Man-away. Anti-man medication (parody tv ad)

Default Man-away. Anti-man medication (parody tv ad)

Has been a while since I've had any creative spark in me, I shot and edited this today. It's based on really bad medication tv ads I saw in America.
    Enjoy...or not.

I swear my wife is slipping me this stuff. Nice one, this hits the comedy bone for me.

Blog Entries

Nice to have clay_9 vid back on the forum. Had me laughing again.

I do wonder whether it should be cut at the 37 sec mark. I thought the visual material after it was very good but the audio content didn't quite go with it. The audio content (the "government healt warnings") was a good idea but once we'd got the gag it was rather repetitive and it felt like padding. I realise you needed something to accompany the visuals, but this didn't quite work for me. Perhaps you could have had some recommendations/quotes from satisfied customers (though this would put an end to the video being "something I knocked up yesterday" as it would involve recording a selection of voices).

You do realise they sell this stuff in the UK? It's marketed under the name "marriage".
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Nice to have clay_9 vid back on the forum. Had me laughing again.

I do wonder whether it should be cut at the 37 sec mark. I thought the visual material after it was very good but the audio content didn't quite go with it. The audio content (the "government healt warnings") was a good idea but once we'd got the gag it was rather repetitive and it felt like padding. I realise you needed something to accompany the visuals, but this didn't quite work for me. Perhaps you could have had some recommendations/quotes from satisfied customers (though this would put an end to the video being "something I knocked up yesterday" as it would involve recording a selection of voices).

You do realise they sell this stuff in the UK? It's marketed under the name "marriage".
    well, I agree and disagree at the same time.

to be realistic, I think it should have been cut around the 30/40secs mark tops (we rarely, if ever, see commercials longer than that)
    The audio was funny but it was too long. it would have been, I think, better if we actually had a very fast scrolling text on the bottom of the screen (like we often see)

maybe some graphical elements such as the brand's logo at the end would be nice too, and since we're at it (the expensive, time consuming extra work, that is), maybe a short slogan song while showing the logo.

all in all, it was fun, very good, and still has room for improvement. the acting was cool too!

Thanks for the comments guys. It's based on an advert I saw in America, where it's not unusual to have 90 or 120 second adverts. The closing voice over starting 'Man-away is not for everyone' is about 90% word for word from the source advert (other than the obvious lines added for humour like 'skin melting' and 'bleeding freely from the eyes'). So it's quite faithful as a parody to it's initial inspiration.

But yes for a UK ad it's way too long, but there was just too much I wanted to say to be able to cut it down to 30 or 40 seconds. I think the visuals work very well over the voice over, the 'changed man' doing all these nice things for his wife, contrasted to the horrific side effects he'll likely endure.

I may have had a couple of comedy misses recently, but I'm pleased with this one on the whole.

you should be, it's brilliant!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    I think the visuals work very well over the voice over, the 'changed man' doing all these nice things for his wife, contrasted to the horrific side effects he'll likely endure.
    I'm not sure what you#re saying here but in case you misunderstood - I liked the "changed man" visuals - very much, it was the v/o that (a) felt like padding to me (which you've now explained as faithful to the genre so fair enough) and (b) whilst quite funny, didn't "fit" with the visuals - to me, anyway. I just think users' endorsements as voiceovers might have worked better.

But I'd hate you to think that I didn't think it was funny as it is!
    Tim

Good job !

I appreciate that writing is a never-ending process .

I bet you have changed stuff already or had ideas on how to improve it after it was shot !!!

Enjoyed it and liked your facial expressions.

Scary thing is if this was screened in the states you would probably get customers if there was a contact phone number !

Ahh cool no problem, I didn't get you first time around but thanks for clarifying. Here is the advert it's based on, the 'Abilify is not for everyone' starts at about 0:36 abilify commercial 2011 - blue robe - YouTube It really is amazing that stuff like this is actually sold!

The contrast in happy images to the bleak side effects are partly based on this ad also, now im taking drugs it's all better sort of thing!

Maybe it did go on a bit too long and I take the padding comment on board.