Thread: Testing out some new equipment - Dancer in the dark

Default Testing out some new equipment - second vid added

Hi, well I still got tons of failed footage due to the gopro not making friends with the LED torch on many shots, but I still could come up with something. Let me know what you think

Last edited by hadoq; 02-13-2012 at 12:28 PM.

I like that you are experimenting with your videos. I think it works. Along with the music you have created a yoyo video with atmosphere.

Well done.

Blog Entries

Some unusual viewpoints. I liked the way you used the lighting. It worked very well for the subject.

thank you guys, as said, I just got the gopro cam and led light a couple days ago, still trying to figure out some stuff. unfortunately the gopro is full automatic so it's kinda hard to deal when you shoot in the dark with direct lighting, the wide angle makes it very hard to position the light source properly. This was an experiment (I had the shot with the hands in the black in mind beforehand but all the rest was pure experimentation) so I expect the vids to get much better looks when I finally can figure out how to use the gopro properly with my light source.

those LED lights are fairly cheap (paid 60€-ish for mine on amazon, the 160 leds one) and they work a charm, but I need more and taller tripods now and I gone broke after that gopro purchase! (^,^)/

looks good, nice effect, but doesn't play very smooth ...maybe my connection ?

Blog Entries

These are visually much more interesting than your earliest videos.
    The early ones were a good straight documentary of what you were doing - showing your skill in a purely factual way - great for if someone had to "judge" your yoyoing in a competition (if they have such things)

But you've showed a development on the artistic side - culminating in these experiments.
    I particularly like the shots that do not show your face - this flies against what I'd noramlly say, which would be let's see the concentration - and the human element behind the mesmerising patterns that the youyo makes.

But I'm not suggesting just showing those shots. Interecut them with close-up shots of just your face (like the shots at 0:16, but concentrating on yoyoing) and this will give a nice contrast - separating the "arty" result from the "human" skill. Or mabe not. just a suggestion.
    Tim

Thought the music was a very good choice and overall I liked it .

The footage from 1.27 onwards I liked best (ie) viewpoint.

Regarding the first section have you thought or already experimented with white gloves and black balaclava so just yoyo's and hands ????
    Or maybe all black so just see yoyo's ????

Just a thought but like I said I liked it ....great skill.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    These are visually much more interesting than your earliest videos.
    The early ones were a good straight documentary of what you were doing - showing your skill in a purely factual way - great for if someone had to "judge" your yoyoing in a competition (if they have such things)

But you've showed a development on the artistic side - culminating in these experiments.
    I particularly like the shots that do not show your face - this flies against what I'd noramlly say, which would be let's see the concentration - and the human element behind the mesmerising patterns that the youyo makes.

But I'm not suggesting just showing those shots. Interecut them with close-up shots of just your face (like the shots at 0:16, but concentrating on yoyoing) and this will give a nice contrast - separating the "arty" result from the "human" skill. Or mabe not. just a suggestion.
    Hi, thanks for your insight, this will be very helpful.
    as the title says, I'm experimenting right now, more than really creating. I got myself some new equipment and I've been thinking of new techniques to try out for a while now. But right now is more the time to put the theory and practice together in order to be able to use the technique to express myself properly. So this video is more a "trial and error" video (I probably had over 60% of the footage that was not useable) and my focus was more on the technique than the message or the art, the focus is meant to shift as I get more comfortable with the technique.

What I like in yoyoing is the graphical aspect of it, the human/personal (like concentration shots and whatnot) is always a plus, but I believe it is possible to show nothing but the actual yoyoing and make a good video. But depending on the vid, either approach can be used.

The issue I have with the shots you mention is that I film all by myself, while it still remains possible, it's harder. But I like to do it when I film others.

And yes, we actually have yoyo competition as it's a fast growing sport. These events are very unique in the way that they gather a very very wide audience. There's a very good short film about it (and an even better full feature documentary about to be released, google for "world on a string"), you can check it out here and it's very interesting.

I've been experimenting some more yesterday with a couple of friends, here's the video

It'll probably take me another month or so to be comfortable with how the gopro cam interacts with light sources and low light situations, but it's getting there.

I'll be hanging out on this forum, check out what others do and what I can learn from more experienced film makers. it's really a nice place, I like it here.