Thread: On-Set Editing

Smile On-Set Editing

Hi all,

I'm the editor for my next shoot coming up and I'm going to be editing on-set (or at least capturing / logging / transcoding on set).
    Was just wondering if any of you had any general workflows you've used in the past for on-set editing that might be useful?

I'm working with Avid 6 on a Mac, 5D DSLR footage and CF cards.

Thanks,
    Rob.

I'll give you one tip Rob, don't delete anything unless you have to and then only when you have two verified back up copies. Once you have got your copys then do the other stuff. Keep the used cards seperate from any other cards and try an devise a labelling system. I read a good article about this but can't remember where. If it comes to me, I'll point you to it.

That's a good tip!
    I'll be backing up onto two separate hard drives on-set and not deleting anything until the project is complete.
    As far as I've planned, I'll request the DoP to lock all the full CF cards and get someone to run them over. I organise them, back them up, then unlock the CF card, wipe it, and hand it back to the DoP. Then transcode.

sounds like you have the correct workflow already
    Most major productions shooting with digital cards are required by their insurance to have two back up drives.
    A few DoPs I know recommend never to format a card during a shoot as lost files can be recovered if anything were to go wrong. I've tried to run with that but have had technical issues which have resulted in no other choice but formatting in the past.
    Only other thing would be to ensure your runner and camera assistants know your labelling system and adhere to it to ensure things run smoothly on both ends

Thanks.

That's a good point to not format on-set. I had the idea to do it simply because of the possibly small number of cards available, but this is probably something I can decide on the day. If there's enough cards on set for me to keep without wiping and handing back, I'll keep them locked until I get back as an extra backup in case the drives corrupt on the trip home.

Are there any preferable labelling systems you would suggest, or are they all just as good as each other?

Quote Originally Posted by BritishEye View Post
    Thanks.

Are there any preferable labelling systems you would suggest, or are they all just as good as each other?
    Mine to be honest is one of the most basic.
    I number the cards and use them in order. Once used seal the card case with some camera tape.
    No tape on a card case = it is backed up and safe, however I always check my numbers aren't out of sync to be sure.

I've found the simplest tactics are the best to adopt when theres multiple people handling them so go with whatever works for you and your team best generally. Check with the camera assistant as to how they mark cards to be sent to the editor and find a happy medium.

Blog Entries

I would scream out 'Buy more cards!". I do not know of a singe "serious" production which re-formats cards during a shoot. Honestly, when things get hectic it will go wrong.

Number the cards, that way you can check which one (if any) is missing and suggest that the cam-op puts a bit of tape on all the cases before the shoot. No tape - card doesn't get used.
    Do not trust assistants or runners to think for themselves. At some point they will try to "help" or show that they can think, and will cock it up.

Your workflow is good, it's the same as most current affairs set-ups but, honestly, unless it is a really low-budget production, don't go wiping cards. If you were recording on tape, you wouldn't do it would you?
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 02-11-2012 at 08:24 AM.

with media being as cheap as it is why take the chance?..... buy more cards !!!

my tip for charged/ dead batteries....

fully charged- bound with an elastic band
    discharged - no elastic band

works for me LOL !

we do this all the time. we use 3 mac systems.. 1 is ingesting raw footage and transcoding, the second is my assistant editor moving materials into editorial sessions, logging, documenting, review etc... the third is my editing station. We always keep the raw footage stored (2 copies) and the transcoded footage (2 copies) stored. I agree with the folks above... lots o'cards! make sure you have enough for cards in the cameras, another full set in the Camera teams pockets, another set in the office, ready to be picked up, and a set being ingested / transcoded by your team... and maybe even a couple more just cause....

cheers
    geo

here's my location editing rig..
    Our Rig HMM Mobile Productions