Thread: Please I beg you I need help

Exclamation Please I beg you I need help

Hi everybody I really need help with a huge problem I have with my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition, suddenly it messed up the path of most of the media on the timeline and replaced it with other file randomly, I got three weeks invested on that project and the deadline is drawing near. Now everytime I edit the media path and save and re open the file the paths are messed up again, please somebody help me with this, what it's going on? what did I do? Thanks in advance, I hope you guys can help me cause I'm desperate!

PS. I tried to reinstall the software and it didn't work.

Alex

You have a number of options. One is to put the media you want to the original place it was when you first started your Vegas project. Part of the info in the project file is where the media is placed on your computer. Move the unwanted media that is wrongly loading to a different place on your computer and open the project in Vegas. A massage box should open saying Vegas can't find the media. Chose the option to specify a new location or replacement file. Now browse to the files you want in your project. When they are all loaded save the project.

This should handle your problem.

HI Midnight Blue thanks a lot for your answer, is there any other way I could avoid this to happen again? I am working on a movie and it's a lot of work, it changed the path of more than 1000 sounds by itself, please if you know a way to prevent this to happen? thank you so much

Alex

I don't know how it could change the path of the files by it's self.

I've never heard of operating systems that decide on their own to just relocate files.

Either you used a program to do this, Or you did it yourself manually.

Tell me, Do you make a folder, Load all your media into there BEFORE importing them into vegas or do you import, Then move the files around?

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    I've never heard of operating systems that decide on their own to just relocate files.

Either you used a program to do this, Or you did it yourself manually.

Tell me, Do you make a folder, Load all your media into there BEFORE importing them into vegas or do you import, Then move the files around?

Hi thanks so much for your answer, it doesn't change the location of the sound files it changes the media path in the timeline to another path from random files on my computer :(
    I didn't do anything I just opened a clip I already finished and found that problem and I checked them all and they were all messed up :( I've been working all night working on the clips again :(

Alex

Just a thought, could OP have a virus and that is working on files at random....?
    ie nothing to do with VS...
    It does seem rather odd behaviour; OP seems to have VS experience, although doesn't tell us which version.

EDIT (mikerb Post #8 )- yea that Auto Ripple is a bit of a pain....a bit like a car-accelerator that latches "fast" (I understand some fly-by-wire cars can develop this...all on their own...Yikes!)
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-11-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearthecuteness View Post
    Hi thanks so much for your answer, it doesn't change the location of the sound files it changes the media path in the timeline to another path from random files on my computer :(
    I didn't do anything I just opened a clip I already finished and found that problem and I checked them all and they were all messed up :( I've been working all night working on the clips again :(

Alex
    I wonder if we have a problem with terminology here!!? You need to explain what you mean by "path". I think you may be saying that the order of the clips you have placed on one of the tracks ( sounds like you were referring to an audio track) becomes different and/or some of the clips change to different tracks. This can happen if you try moving clips about whilst you have the ripple edit option selected. If indeed this is what has happened you can simply wind the project back ( undo option) until you see the track or tracks as they should be. It may be one edit back, or if you have attempted to correct the problem, several more.

My advise in the future would be that if you are doing some complex editing, make a point of saving the project at regular intervals. At least if all else fails you can close the project without saving and re open to get back to a non corrupted version. Better still you can regularly "save as" using filenames with ver1/ver2 etc .

If on the other hand you are saying that suddenly clips appear in the project media window and/or on the timeline that you have not imported then I would agree with vidmanners that the most likely cause is a virus/trojan. You mentioned over 1000 sounds. Are these internet freebies? If so I would be suspicious. I would immediately run a full virus scan.