Thread: Newbie to HD editing, basic questions about Vegas Platinum 11

Default Newbie to HD editing, basic questions about Vegas Platinum 11

I haven't bought a HD video camera or software yet. I'm posting here because it seems forum users like the Vegas software, yes? I use Permiere Elements, so if some of you have good things to say about version 10, I'd like to hear those comments too.

Here are some questions I have:
    1. Does this software work with video from non-Sony camcorders, such as Canon or Panasonic?
    2. Can I import by putting the SD card in the computer, or do I need the camera and a cable?
    3. I assume the output can be burnt to Blu Ray, although the Sony site doesn't say so (it refers to uploading to YouTube and other Internet destinations). Is this correct?
    4. With this software, can I save an archive file to DVD, either in the original AVCHD format (preferable, I would think, because I understand this format is like Tiff in that it loses information with each conversion), or in some editing format? I would want to do that to re-use the clips in a new production.
    5. I also need to output the video to standard DVD. Can I do this with this software?

Thank you for your help.

You do not make it clear what version of 10 Consumer (Movie Studio) or Pro, in either case it is now at ver 11

Answers for PRO

1. Does this software work with video from non-Sony camcorders, such as Canon or Panasonic?
    Yes Sony cameras not a requirement, as for others again YES but you can get codec issues, my Canon and Panasonic cameras work well

2. Can I import by putting the SD card in the computer, or do I need the camera and a cable?
    You can do it either way, I use a card reader much easier.

3. I assume the output can be burnt to Blu Ray, although the Sony site doesn't say so (it refers to uploading to YouTube and other Internet destinations). Is this correct?
    Yes but depends witch version of the software you have, the lowest does not I believe

4. With this software, can I save an archive file to DVD, either in the original AVCHD format (preferable, I would think, because I understand this format is like Tiff in that it loses information with each conversion), or in some editing format? I would want to do that to re-use the clips in a new production.
    NO, I would use HDD for that or Blue ray as DVD are only 4Gb and most cards now tend to start at 8Gb for cameras.
    I use this free software for making backups - The Official ImgBurn Website

5. I also need to output the video to standard DVD. Can I do this with this software?
    YES, PAL or NTSC

You can download a free trial and see comparisons here..

Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Product Comparisons
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 02-09-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Spelling as usual

Vegas Studio Production Suite v 11 is about 35 (Amazon) and is very capable of doing what you need, subject to Z Cheema's warnings. I wouldn't buy v10 now, although for a 50i camcorder file it is enough. You need v11 for 1080 50p which should cover the consumer camcorders from Panasonic . . . tell us yr budget and you'll get a flood of suggestions. I would advise you look only at camcorders which accept SDHC cards.

The burning of DVD/BlueRay is done separately from Editing, but you need a suitable disc-burner in the PC. However, this doesn't really mater if you want to post on YouTube(but you do need your own YT account) . For storage, many believe BlueRay is the only game in town, but it's expensive IMHO. For an easier storage you can use a Hard Drive, something like 1Tb should have enough room for a while and if looked after, should be a good store for the future. An External HDD using USB3 really is the minimum you should seek, but an internal SATA drive is my preference.

EDIT: TimStannard, yes right again [Post #4]; but many newbies will be using that external drive for their working files, so the delay (USB2) is a real pain. Better to go for the faster solution. Also it gives newbies the power to resist Salesmen's patter ...that USB2 is faster than USB1....
    = = = Incidentally I saw a new 1Tb drive for 60 - USB2 + ext housing - the thought occurred; Put (drive only) inside my PC - a very decent discount on HDD prices at present. Presumably SATA, but this wasn't certain, so I resisted the offer, party as I have enough spare storage (but you never know!). Thanks.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    An External HDD using USB3 really is the minimum you should seek
    My own view differs: If you want to edit from an external hard drive, then this makes sense. If all you are looking at is long term storage or pethaps watching video then USB2 is perfectly adequate (and much more likely to be supported by your PC).
    Tim