Thread: XLR Splitter

Default XLR Splitter

Forgive me if i posted in the wrong forum, my final stop was here after searching for hours. We create cooking videos and we have three camera (Canon XA-10) each shooting from different angle. We have audio mixer (Europower PMP1000) and wireless mic that the talent wears. The problem we are having is getting all three camera to record the same audio. The way we have setup is the wireless transmitter connects to audio mixer, then we have two XLR's coming out of the main output (L&R) from the audio mixer. The two XLRs then go to each of the two cameras (We have enabled the optioned of mixing the audio in the camera). How can we connect the third XLR to mixer and connect it to the third camera. Is there an XLR splitter that will do the job, for example if we were to connect the two XLRs coming from the mixer to a splitter and the get three XLRs (L&R) going to the three cameras. I hope i explained everything and sorry for the noob question. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Not sure why you feel you need to do this. Would it not be simpler to have one camera record the main audio and use this audio track in your editing software. Record a guide audio track from the on board mics of the other two cameras to help you line up all the footage on the three video tracks. Now edit as required.
    If I've missed something from your description let me know.

Blog Entries

There are splitter boxes which will do the job, varying in price from a hundred to a thousand pounds. There are simple splitters which basically just have one input and then divide the output into two cables. They are called "XLR Splitters".

This is the sort of thing I assume you're looking for.

Welcome to - XLR Splitters (pack of 4)

What you want to do is not recommended though. Audio signals are quite weak (electrically speaking) at the best of times and if you split a signal without amplifying it you risk adding all sorts of problems when you have to boost it later. Any recordists will want to work on the Keep It Simple principle and on a show such as yours will normally have the main output going into one of the cameras and the second output (sometimes called the Tape Output or Aux mix) going to a simple recorder such as a PMD660 or a Zoom. Anything more than that is insecurity and adding an unnecessary complication.

If you are not confident in your recordist, you could get some more radio receivers and have the signal from the radio mics recorded on cameras 2 & 3 in case he/she gets the live mix wrong or if he/she gets interference.

London, England

I'm surprised you want the same audio (the master mix) on all cameras...
    As Midnight Blue says - the convention is to use the "best audio" as the master, then do the visual edit, that way there is no lost audio. Perhaps you're 3x recording the master-mix for safety.... if I understand it.

Also as suggested by Rembrant Rob #3, you need to buffer mic signals if you want to split them, however I suspect your mixer output will be sufficiently buffered to do, an XLR splitting cable should be just the ticket, something under 20 will do, provided the lead-length isn't particularly long as mic-lead is expensive. What is surprising is that your group doesn't have a boxful of XLR's of "all-sorts."

May I suggest you use coloured leads? This "should" avoid wrong-routing. ie each camera is a "colour" and the same colour lead provides its feed. Although conventionally the signals are "going" to the mixer.... but you're different.

As I understand it your audio is from various in-studio mics which feed directly to the master-mixer....the only snag with this route is that you have only one version of the audio - if a participant swears (for example) the same number of frames need to be deleted from each recording (er, I think). Had you recorded unique audio on every cameras you could switch the audio (in Edit), but you do only get one "Master" - yet I thought "Pros" would record to PC, or dedicated multi-track SD-card recorder.... maybe not.

The ART splitcom is a good inexpensive XLR splitter. It is one box that does the job well.