Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video forums under attack.

1. Default Video forums under attack.

I have noticed today another video forum has gone off line, after DVDoctor was hacked and lost a couple of weeks ago I wonder if video forums are being targeted by hackers.

It is distressing to think they actually have nothing better to do. Why would they even bother with video forums, it doesn't seem like they would get a lot of "Loz" from it or what ever they call it. I suppose someone could have wound one of them up on the forum and triggered an adverse response.

Hacking websites illustrates perfectly the sad bullies who have zero power in their own lives, but choose to disrupt others.
    Can you imagine them sitting in their bedroom and gleefully congratulating themselves for spoiling others fun? Such a sad existence.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Any site running outdated software is open to attack. DV doctor was running on a version of code released over two years ago. It was only a matter of time before an automated attack found the website.

Current thinking is that forums are becoming old hate, replaced by Facebook and social media. Another theory is that they're becoming more of a technical reference than a community. Either way, forums come and go. Most due to the apathy of the site admin.

I see that Philip Bloom has just started a forum, which will no doubt grow rapidly due to his already significant web presence.
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 02-08-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Is this forum safe (ie) code etc.
    I have just found this forum quite recently and would hate to think it would get attacked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Is this forum safe (ie) code etc.
    No site is foolproof. If the site was targeted, I'm sure it could be compromised. However, as site administrator I try to keep all possible entries as secure as possible. I update the software as soon as updates released, for example, which helps avoid "random" attacks. The site is also on a dedicated server (although I do run a few other sites on the same server), which means I have control over what software is installed. Finally, my host takes back ups regularly, so disasterr recovery should be covered. Importantly, I'm also an active user, which means I'd be lost if the site wasn't here anymore!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThomTom View Post
    I have noticed today another video forum has gone off line, after DVDoctor was hacked and lost a couple of weeks ago I wonder if video forums are being targeted by hackers.
    It looks like dvdoctor is almost back up and running. I'm an infrequent browser there, so i hope they get everything restored.

Damn right Marc.
    Good to know the forum is in your competent hands

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slimbob View Post
    Damn right Marc.
    Good to know the forum is in your competent hands

Marc is an absolute diamond, providing this site for free, continually monitoring the site, performing regular software upgrades and running test versions whenever there's a major upgrade in the pipeline. This is the benefit of having a user and enthusiast as the admin.
    Tim

10. Default

Thanks to all who provide, support and defend this forum, without this and others the world of the independent video makers would be a poorer place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast