Thread: HDV or HD

Default HDV or HD

i only recently got a hdv and spent a while getting it to transfer hdv to my descktop, quality is great. Just curious as to is there a major difference against a hd camcorder of similer spec. I know a memory card is handy but to transfer tape now that im used too it isnt too bad at all. Only reason is i see alot of people upgrading to hd card type cams

Thinking about it would the footage caught on HDV tape be less compressed than that on HD (hard drive) or (SD) card. I wonder if the convenience of having a built in hard drive or bigger storage capacity is off set by the compression they store the footage as

Not sure about this …..way out of my depth here be good to get some feedback by those more in the know.

If I was you personally I think I would milk your HDV camcorder first before thinking of swapping for HD hardrive/SD card camcorder.

I am using mini DV tape (SD) and made up with the quality.

Blog Entries

Strictly speaking HDV is 1440 1080 whilst full HD is 19201080. In practice I defy anyone to spot the difference and there are some (although very few) cameras which record 19201080 onto HDV tape. The biggest influence on your image is the lens. Both HDV and AVCHD compress the footage but using different methods.

Thanks for dropping by and clearing that up Rob.

Out of interest which compresses the footage the most or rather which of the 2 do you consider the best option?

What would you buy?

While I am on what camera have you got ??

Give me a fright Rob !

Cheers

Blog Entries

At the agency I've got a Panasonic AJ-HPX3700 but now that I'm only part time I share it with another cameraman. There is no way I would buy a broadcast camcorder for myself. In my opinion the economics don't work out.

For personal use I've got a Canon XH A1s which is fantastic for the price and for fun I've got a Canon HF11. Both give astounding quality, much better than any "pro" dvcam or betaSP camcorder which was the broadcast "standard" a few years ago. If I get a bit flush I will probably go for the Panasonic AF105 next. Both HDV and AVCHD prosumer camcorders compress to 25mbs. My personal choice would be to go for AVCHD as the compression codec is now very good.

Holy crap Rob that is one expensive camera! (Panasonic AJ-HPX3700)
    Understand economic side of things in terms of you not investing in one.

The Canon XHA1s looks a bit more affordable.

Canon HF11 “For Fun” !! Love it Rob !!!
    Well I suppose you can’t expect a trained racing car driver to drive around in a bubble car!.................... .............(no bubble car smiley)

The Panasonic AF105 looks a serious piece of kit in the right hands.
    Strange looking thing …. I know that means nothing.

Thanks for explaining the compression (ie) (25mbs)
    So your personal choice would be AVCHD, good to know.

Cheers

Bob