Thread: Digital camera recommendation

Default Digital camera recommendation

Hi, can anyone recommend a good video camera that is reasonably priced and will be suitable for what I need. I need to create videos detailing how to use the company's VoIP phones (zooming in, etc.). I'll be editing them with Sony Vegas (I haven't purchased it yet, but someone recommended it, and it seemed like good software at a reasonable price). These videos will become part of our Learning Management System.

Thanks,

Video Camera Hire | Video Camera Rental at Best Rates

As it's a one off Job, Do this.
    Your manager will thank you for saving the company money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Video Camera Hire | Video Camera Rental at Best Rates

As it's a one off Job, Do this.
    Your manager will thank you for saving the company money.
    Thanks, but we really need to buy a camera, as we'll be creating a lot of videos over the years. Having said that though, I still would like to buy a reasonably priced one.

What's the budget?

Default Budget

I'm not sure yet. I was hoping someone would make some recommendations for a newbie like me, and then I can inquire with the boss. I saw one at Best Buy for around $300.00. I don't see any reason why I couldn't use that one, but then again, I don't have any experience to see the pitfalls. I just need to start somewhere though.

Panasonic TM900 is the bees knees for pro-basic footage - about $800 AUD, and you can expand your own personal skills with its manual settings

It a good camera by all reports, but that isn't the end of the story, you'll need a very sturdy tripod, with a video-head (no, a Fluid Head - those video-heads are rubbish and your new staff will want to watch the tutorials without the "Tech" clouding the issue.).
    Manual? Perhaps first, you can tell us what photographic experience you have...?

However, there are cheaper camcorders about. I'd suggest SDHC memory is the route to take - and I presume the Audio is less important "on camera". The 700/800/900 series has external mic input(DYOR), which might be useful if you mix in the Operator's voice as well as the "caller" - However, these things are better done Post - it will be enough to get good footage to start off.

Finally, you might consider employing someone that has the skills and kit - it is not an easy task and a Pro will do a far better job - er, I would say.

- just learning how to Edit will take a new PC with considerable power - and quite a while learning how to use it. Not something to take on lightly when the Boss is jumping. You should budget for double the camera cost as a mimimum and maybe 3x if you get a decent tripod.

Then there is the venue - will it be a working office? _ Nightmare!
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Or you can cut costs of the project radically by hiring in the camera/tripod. Considering you'll only need the kit for a day at most.

IMHO very risky hiring gear as a newbie (and some Hirers will refuse!).

We don't know the experience of this "Newbie" but I suspect he'll need the Kit for a few weeks to get used to it, do the edits etc.

That's why I suggested a Pro - brought in for the start.

What is the risk of hiring a point and shoot camera? He shoots the footage, Grabs the footage off via USB, Takes a look, then edits. Yes some hire warehouses have conditions but there are many which are happy to rent out consumer level camcorders. He can hire a very nice 1500 cam with tripod, for a lot less than the 300 and get a pretty stunning result.

But anyway, I suspect he will end up purchasing a sub 400 camera and be very pleased with the result. At the end of the day it's a video people "have" to watch, So they'll be more forgiving about certain items. ( I watched an official google video the other day and was shocked by the lack of production standards! )