Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Camera with these Function?

1. Question Video Camera with these Function?

I'm about to buy my first video camera. I'm looking for certain functionality which I'll list. I'm wondering if you know fo a reasonably priced camera with these features.

Manual Focus
    External Mic Input
    More Optical Zoom over Digital Zoom

These are the features I know I want, there are a few other things I might not know I need till I get working with shooting video, for now I'm wondering what kinda suggestions you might make, thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

Hmmm....
    You can get some nice pal DV cameras with XLR mic inputs, Manual controls including focus ring, with a healthy optical zoom.

Would you consider a DV tape camera?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Would you consider a DV tape camera?
    I would consider anything at a nice price with the functionality I'm looking for, with DV's being mentioned and I am new to buying these types of products - can I shoot 1080p - 60fps or 24fps with this format and how easy is it to get content from the DV to a Mac?

If those things are all possible I would have no problem buying a DV Camera unless someone suggests some Cons as to my not...

It all depends on your budget.

You can get a pretty "pro" camera with all the manual features and great items "but" it will be in standard 16:9 widescreen DVD standard, This is DV.

HDV allows you to shoot in 1080p but the cost for such devices goes up and up.
    HDV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, Why do you need/want 1080P? Unless your producing blu-ray disks, You won't be able to take advantage of it on a DVD, and if it's for web upload, What content are you going to be producing that needs that resolution?

Personally, I'd suggest that you spend 400 on a very good Pal DV SD Camera, with manual controls and all the bells and whistles for you to "learn" how to be a cam OP proper.

5. Default

Why do you need/want 1080P? Unless your producing blu-ray disks, You won't be able to take advantage of it on a DVD, and if it's for web upload, What content are you going to be producing that needs that resolution?
    I agree with you, I feel if I'm going to be sinking 400+ I am kinda try to future proof in case I really get into it and want to produce higher quality video for showing online.

DVD is 720p - right?

If I can get 24fps and or 60fps with 720p then I guess that's enough quality I would need even if I start shooting more and more footage.

Let's think about resolution standards.

Taken from Display resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Televisions are of the following resolutions
    Standard-definition television (SDTV):
    480i (NTSC standard uses an analog system of 486i split into two interlaced fields of 243 lines)
    576i (PAL, 720576 split into two interlaced fields of 288 lines)

Enhanced-definition television (EDTV):
    480p (720480 progressive scan)
    576p (720576 progressive scan)

High-definition television (HDTV):
    720p (1280720 progressive scan)
    1080i (19201080 split into two interlaced fields of 540 lines)
    1080p (19201080 progressive scan)

Now yes everyone is upgrading to "HD" but the SD standard still has plenty of life left, Especially if your doing online distribution. Just because you can upload a 1920x1080 video file, Does not mean the end user can stream it on their lousy internet connection! So consider of your target audience who would do that.

Now, the price for increasing the resolution goes up, If you want true 1080I, For a "good" prosumer camera, expect to sink in 700+.

7. Default

Let's think about resolution standards.

Taken from Display resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Televisions are of the following resolutions
    Standard-definition television (SDTV):
    480i (NTSC standard uses an analog system of 486i split into two interlaced fields of 243 lines)
    576i (PAL, 720576 split into two interlaced fields of 288 lines)

Enhanced-definition television (EDTV):
    480p (720480 progressive scan)
    576p (720576 progressive scan)

High-definition television (HDTV):
    720p (1280720 progressive scan)
    1080i (19201080 split into two interlaced fields of 540 lines)
    1080p (19201080 progressive scan)

Now yes everyone is upgrading to "HD" but the SD standard still has plenty of life left, Especially if your doing online distribution. Just because you can upload a 1920x1080 video file, Does not mean the end user can stream it on their lousy internet connection! So consider of your target audience who would do that.

Now, the price for increasing the resolution goes up, If you want true 1080I, For a "good" prosumer camera, expect to sink in 700+.
    Understood and I agree, I need to look at who the audience is, if even it was only for YouTube I'd still like to work to the smallest size being 720.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying HD is bad, Far from it!

I'm just thinking that you'll probably want.

Camera 700
    Tripod ( essential ) 100+
    Software - Could be from 70 to 1700
    Bag/case - Still costs money!
    If recording audio, External mic is a must 100+

Bearing in mind these figures are rough estimates, And whilst there may be many more extras still to purchase, The above should be the minimum expectation for someone who wants to be "serious" about their videos.

I hope this is helpful for you...

9. Default

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying HD is bad, Far from it!

I'm just thinking that you'll probably want.

Camera 700
    Tripod ( essential ) 100+
    Software - Could be from 70 to 1700
    Bag/case - Still costs money!
    If recording audio, External mic is a must 100+

Bearing in mind these figures are rough estimates, And whilst there may be many more extras still to purchase, The above should be the minimum expectation for someone who wants to be "serious" about their videos.

I hope this is helpful for you...
    I was looking at getting the Panasonic HDC-SD900 which is in the price range your suggesting, it seems to have the things i'm looking for, anything I've left out that this camera doesn't have?

I wondered about the Pana 900 - it is reasonably future-proof and has many satisfied Consumer-users, although in quiet situation there is sometimes mention of fan-noise.

Mic/headphone connections are 3.5mm (Not XLR, which Pros like) - and it won't impress any Pros, is my bet.
    As for software many here like Vegas Studio (plenty to learn and v11 has animated titling, 3D effects DYOR - all for 35 - get the Production Suite for 5 more, with 1hr Tutorial DVD).

normal DVD's are 720 x 576 , but I suspect HD cameras will have better lenses/electronics so that's the point, perhaps?

I don't understand why anyone buys a tape-based camcorder, other than they are equipped to.

I think Bpotter908's list should include: " SDHC recording device " , eg PalmTrack, or Zoom models about 70, although these companies make a "video-version" with HD phone-style camera AND sound . . . but maybe good enough for recording a nightclub, but not serious audio......it gives you a "spare camera if all else fails" - OR more-likely a second angle opportunity. Very expensive versions do have XLR inputs and you sync it, using the camera-mic.

BTW the tripod needs to have a fluid-head, that makes it easy to pan shots . . . on those rare occasions.

FWIW I chose a cheaper HD stills camera . NEX5, but it has limited zoom....but interchangeable lenses and a massive sensor make up. It lacks mic and headphone sockets, so I use a separate recorder when I remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast