Thread: why are my renders choppy?

Question why are my renders choppy?

Hi all, new member here, 1st post....

I'm trying to figure out why my renders are choppy in After Effects CS5.5...
    I'm kind of familiar with the program & its settings & rendering, but I can't figure out what's goin wrong here. It's JUST After Effects. Premier & Flash are working fine, & I use Blender 3D also with no problems.
    Any advice?
    thanks

PS--- The computer is capable as far as I can tell:
    AMD PhenomII X6 1090T Black
    GeForce GTX460 Fermi
    16Gb G.Skill RipJaws DDR3

Two things.

Is it just the playback of animations whilst creating them as a composition in AE?
    If your rendering to video, could you tell us what pre-set your using?

Thanks for the reply.
    When I play animations back in the stage (RAM preview) everything looks great. Even at full scale & full resolution.
    But I tried rendering an .avi in 1080p & everything came out choppy. It first happened on a composition created solely in AE.....just some layers & effects. So as a test I imported a video that I knew ran smoothly, dropped it on the timeline, and rendered it. It came out choppy as well.

My output settings are the default "best" & "lossless" setups with nothing changed.

I can't remember my exact scores right now, but I ran Kombustor on the machine & the FPS score was great.

Any advice is much appreciated.

It sounds like it's just your computer struggling to play back the output file, if you export lossless files from Premiere or Blender do you get the same issue?

David.

Or have you tried rendering a SD lower res file and played that back?

When I render Premier or Blender, everything looks fine....the problem seems to be isolated to AfterEffects.
    Also, different formats produce the same choppy results. I've tried 720p as well, but no improvement. Quicktime seems to be the only format giving me a faithful output from AE.

Something seems really wrong here, do you use something different to play back QT files from your other video's?

Have you exported a video from Premiere or Blender with settings identical in every way (including duration) as one from After effects and are getting different playback results?

By any chance was the 720p video you tried from After effects also Lossless, and what settings were your QT files that played back fine?

David.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybat View Post
    Hi all, new member here, 1st post....

I'm trying to figure out why my renders are choppy in After Effects CS5.5...
    I'm kind of familiar with the program & its settings & rendering, but I can't figure out what's goin wrong here. It's JUST After Effects. Premier & Flash are working fine, & I use Blender 3D also with no problems.
    Any advice?
    thanks

PS--- The computer is capable as far as I can tell:
    AMD PhenomII X6 1090T Black
    GeForce GTX460 Fermi
    16Gb G.Skill RipJaws DDR3
    Hi. Did you resolve your problem? I have the exact same problem. When I render lossless to avi in After Effects, the playback is choppy. If I export in Premiere, the playback is smooth.

I've had the same problem off and on, usually when my composition begins with a still image. Here's a fix that works for me: make a pre-composition, the same duration as the composition you're wanting to render, with nothing in it except a black solid (Layer>New>Solid). Add this pre-composition as the bottom line of the composition you want to render. This seems to give the CS5 rendering engine a frame rate to chomp on.

Bob