Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Northern Soul

  1. #1

    Default Northern Soul

    My brother who is a Northern Soul fanatic pointed me in the direction of this. Its a superb piece even if you dont like the music just soak uo the atmosphere

    The obsession that is Northern Soul 3 - YouTube

  2. #2

    Default

    Great video, I wasn't into Northern Soul at the time but learned to like it much later. The video really got the atmospheres of the time, if not the right trousers and hair cuts. All the guys should have been wearing Oxford bags & the short hair wasn't until the very late 70's/early 80's but it doesn't really matter. Just get into that hypnotic beat, get a few blues down your neck and start dancing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I didn't like that at all. Sure, there were bits I liked and I can see the effort that went into it but generally it just did not work for me.
    I can't comment on the authenticity as that was about as far away from my "scene" at the time as you could get.

    However ...
    Until jst before the end it seemd like a whole collection of scene setting pieces for a story which never materialised.
    The car at the beginning was quite good, but it's the sort of thing which would have worked if there were loads of titles (ie list of starring actors) over the top. For just film of a journey it was far too long.
    Then they arrived at a location and - the titles should be over, the title music fades and the dialog begins - or at least some sort of story ensues.

    But no - we then get treated to what would normally be used as another "scene setting" shot. This time the "look round the flat, get an idea of the protagonist's lifestyle" type shot. I love the first person perspective of this sort of shot but hated how wobbly this was. Should have had a stabbilizer in my opinion.

    Finally we get some dialog at the club entrance - ah, so it is a story after all. The we cut to inside the club and lots of scene setting again.

    Eventually we get to the point of the point of the story with the young man being taken forward in time and we see some well photographed excellent dancing before we come back to the young man again.
    This bit was the whole point. Was it worth it? Not at all in my opinion.

    This bit was so spookily like Midnight Blue's hooker that one almost wonders if it was an influence. Of course in Midnight's film (a) a hell of a lot mre happens and (b) we are given reasons for the hooker to be dancing ballet both as a girl and as an adult.

    So, the idea was OK. As a narrative film it totally failed in my opinion - the only reason I kept watching was because I could see the producer had worked very hard with the style and I was desperately hoping something was going to come of it. As an exercise in style and a retrospective for people who were into that sceneI guess it may work.

    I said earlier that I don't know enough about the style of that scene, the whole thing reminded me of the late 60s films of clubs/discos and apparently that's when northern soul began so full marks for that.

    But I'd rather watch Blow-Up or Performance.
    Tim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Oh dear. I must be getting old. I completely agree with Tim.

  5. #5

    Default

    This bit was the whole point. Was it worth it? Not at all in my opinion.
    The whole point of the video was to get into the vibe and see how the guys at the time lived for the music.
    I think it requires a good understanding of the scene at the time to fully get the narrative of the video Or may be you have to live up North.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

    The whole point of the video was to get into the vibe and see how the guys at the time lived for the music.
    I think it requires a good understanding of the scene at the time to fully get the narrative of the video Or may be you have to live up North.
    Precisely!
    Or maybe Tim and marc have no soul MB LOL !

    Ive been to a couple of these "do's" and as MB points out some of these guys are quite obsessive and really do live for the music.

    Back to the video..... i just love the scene as they walk up the stairs and you can hear the muted soundtrack and as they open the door yoiu get the full effect...... sent a shiver down my spine. Watched it 4 times now

    Anyone notice the cat? .... perfect timing LOL !
    Last edited by enc; 02-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Taken individually, the scenes were great. The dance scenes were particularly well shot and edited. But it was less than the sum of its parts.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Precisely!
    Or maybe Tim and marc have no soul MB LOL !
    Different sort of soul, here. A soul that bled from blues based rock. Can't speak for the ageing Marc.

    So, as I suggested earlier it's a reminiscence piece - tugs at the old nostalgia. And it would appear it relies on that nostalgia. It's hardly a surprise then that it doesn't work for me as I have no memories of or fondness for that scene.

    Had it been scenes of a hairy rock band setting up in a dingy local hall and had a similar lack of narrative, I'm sure that would have had a similar effect on me. Everyone I knew who obsessed about music either played in or hung around with bands.

    The fact that it lacks narrative means it will only really appeal to thse who remenisce about the Northern Soul scene.

    And there's nothing wrong in that.
    Tim

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Oh dear. I must be getting old. I completely agree with Tim.
    I prefer to say both our views are maturing ...
    Tim

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Different sort of soul, here. A soul that bled from blues based rock. Can't speak for the ageing Marc.

    So, as I suggested earlier it's a reminiscence piece - tugs at the old nostalgia. And it would appear it relies on that nostalgia. It's hardly a surprise then that it doesn't work for me as I have no memories of or fondness for that scene.

    Had it been scenes of a hairy rock band setting up in a dingy local hall and had a similar lack of narrative, I'm sure that would have had a similar effect on me. Everyone I knew who obsessed about music either played in or hung around with bands.

    The fact that it lacks narrative means it will only really appeal to thse who remenisce about the Northern Soul scene.

    And there's nothing wrong in that.
    Fair enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Heart and Soul
    By sleightlyprismatic in forum User Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 03:08 AM
  2. soul R&B music video featuring Nu Bakson
    By alexhunter3d in forum User Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
  3. The Avengers Soul Band - Tsunami Appeal Live gig
    By Andy Lockwood in forum User Videos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-15-2005, 12:07 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •